× Members

ESA and PIP medicals within three days of each oth

More
7 years 7 months ago #167672 by Tania
Hi all. Not sure if I'm looking for advice as such but I am making a renewed claim for ESA (currently in support group) and claiming PIP after being on DLA lower mobility and care rates. Having two claims going on at the same time has been stressful to say the least but I am in absolute shock that I am now facing two medical assesments two days apart in two different towns, and I think carried out by two different companies.

I claim primarily for mental health reasons and have had a horrendoius year, having had a full blown nervous breakdown in January (paramedics had to be called to house). I also have mobility problems due to heart related issues so all this travelling is going to take it's toll. I am always denied home visits, much to my despair.

I suppose I wand to know if anyone else has been through similar when it comes to having more than one medical in such a short space of time. It seems like it should be very unusual but maybe it's more common than I think.

Oh, and one final thing - the PIP medical is scheduled for my birthday, which seems particularly cruel. They surely would have known it's my birthday when selecting the date, since they have that information on their file about me.

I've been in the "system" for years when it comes to sickness benefits because my issues are chronic. Thought I could get through anything thrown at me but this? I'm in bits, to be honest. I will probably have to appeal each decision too, dragging it on and on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #167673 by Gordon
Tania

It's an unfortunate coincidence but nothing more, the two Assessment Providers (AP) would not have talked to each other about the assessments, as to it being your birthday, the appointment was made by a computer; selecting the first available date.

Would your GP be prepared to write to the APs explaining why you cannot attend at their offices? It may be able to possible to arrange for one or even both to be switched to home assessments.

You can also move one or both of the appointments on the assumption that these are the first ones you have received, you don't need to provide detailed reasons. I would phone so that you can arrange an acceptable date, but be aware you will have to attend the re-arranged appointment or you will risk the associated benefit claim being closed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 7 months ago #167675 by Tania
Gordon,

Many thanks for your reply! I feel quite a bit better upon learning how the asssessment date is selected. One of my mental health issues is hypersensitivity and taking things too personally, so I just automatically assumed bad faith on the part of the DWP.

I don't think I'd be granted a home visit since I go to doctor and psychartist appointments but I feel their criteria for granting home visits is far too narrow and very unfair. They don't seem to take mental health and what these asssessments do to an ill mind into account at all. Thankfully I will have someone with me but I foresee many sleepness nights in the near future.

- Tania

More
7 years 7 months ago #167688 by unBat412Fd
Hello T

Hope u don't mind me chipping in. I had ESA and PIP assessments two days apart last week and honestly I would not recommend it. I am still floored by it, and will probably be so for another week yet. It was horrendous! If I could go back to last week I would definitely get the second one shifted (my second one was PIP). My thinking at the time was to get them both over and done with, but this reasoning has had its down side. Obvious one being I am completely wiped out mentally and physically, but the other is if you want to try remember how each assessment went and take notes it is hard not to get the two assessments mixed up. Anyway I hope whatever you decide to do, you get good favourable results from your assessments. Regards PP :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #167692 by bassettsfarm
Replied by bassettsfarm on topic ESA and PIP medicals within three days of each oth
Hi Tania,

Sorry to hear you're having such a stressful time. Another member, Porthole Pete had two assessments within days of each other just last week. It was horrible for him...but he did it! I'm not sure how you search for things on here, but he got a lot of support from all on here, so maybe you can find his posts somehow? I'm sure he'd talk to you about it.
A x

More
7 years 7 months ago #167699 by slugsta
HI Amanda,

I see that PP sneaked in ahead of you :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.