× Members

ESA NI contributions only

More
7 years 7 months ago #167685 by LJP
ESA NI contributions only was created by LJP
In May this year I received a letter telling me of a change in the rate of ESA payable to me. This was after a suspension and independent review of my claim which began in January.
I was told that:
1. We cannot pay you Employment and Support Allowance from [date of suspension];
2. You are not getting any more income-related Employment and Support Allowance;
3. We will credit you with National Insurance contributions while claiming Employment and Support Allowance.

I accepted the decision but did telephone (at their written suggestion) to ask for an explanation of the decision and ask for a written statement of reasons for the decision (as they had not provided one). In very clear language I was told that (a) I would find the appropriate explanation on the .gov.uk website; and (b) I had exceeded the allotted time for my call. I was cut off.
I have not been in touch with the DWP or my local JobCentre since May. I am in the WRAG and had previously done computer courses, etc. that had been recommended to me to do. I was able to claim travel expenses and the cost of the courses were covered.
Since I am now only receiving a NI contribution (or at least I believe I am) and had been previously advised that I was no longer eligible for a Council Tax reduction, free prescriptions, etc. should I be in touch with my JobCentre to review my situation? Has my failure to do so jeopardised my current ESA claim? I am expected to do such activities as courses if the fees of them are not covered?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #167696 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA NI contributions only
Although you are, nominally, in the WRAG you cannot be required to undertake any Work Focused Interviews or Activities when you are not in receipt of payment.

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LJP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.