× Members

Dla to PIP invite - Telephone or paper claim query

More
7 years 8 months ago #167732 by masjntt
Hi, my daughter was award higher rate care/ mobility DLA as an indefinite award 8 years ago. We have received her invite to apply for PIP letter - I deal with my daughters claims etc however my husband has terminal cancer and has only weeks to live so time at the moment is precious.

I am just wondering if it is advisable to ask for a PIP1 form instead of the telephone assessment in order to have a record of all info given to DWP or would it be better to phone.

Lastly is it best to request that DLA use info from my daughters last claim {was straight forward, no appeals etc} and if so should I request to see it first?

Sorry for so many questions - thank you x

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167751 by Gordon

Jacey wrote: Hi, my daughter was award higher rate care/ mobility DLA as an indefinite award 8 years ago. We have received her invite to apply for PIP letter - I deal with my daughters claims etc however my husband has terminal cancer and has only weeks to live so time at the moment is precious.

I am just wondering if it is advisable to ask for a PIP1 form instead of the telephone assessment in order to have a record of all info given to DWP or would it be better to phone.

Lastly is it best to request that DLA use info from my daughters last claim {was straight forward, no appeals etc} and if so should I request to see it first?

Sorry for so many questions - thank you x

A number of members, with problems using a phone, have asked for the PIP1 form and have had problems receiving it, if you can phone then I would advise you to do this, the form only collects basic information about the claimant to ensure that they are entitled to make a claim and to allow a computer record for their PIP claim to be created. See the PIP Claim guide.

It's up to you whether you should use your daughter's previous DLA evidence or not, the issues you need to consider are whether it is still relevant to her conditions as they are now and whether they address the PIP criteria which is very different from that used for DLA.

You will not be given an opportunity to view the DLA evidence before you decide whether the DWP should use it, however, you could include it (or portions) with the PIP2 that she will be sent to explain her day to day problems.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: masjntt

More
7 years 8 months ago #167778 by micksville
I never looked at inclusion of dla evidence in that way Gordon. I was asked if they wished to use the evidence from my last dla claim for making a decision on PIP. I said yes. Biggest thing in my favour there is that dla agreed in writing when I received my last (indefinite) award that I can " walk less than 20 metres" and in a poor manner. This was sometime before the PIP 20 metre descriptor was belatedly announced shortly before PIP went live in 2013. I even sent a print out of the award letter stating that as it surely adds weight to my case. I'm assuming by dla award evidence you mean all the medical and other evidence I provided at the time......in that case much is the same now and I have re submitted it with additional medical evidence where my conditjon has deteriorated and other, secondary conditions have arisen.
I guess the only advice I can add to this lady might be include your past dla award evidence but with explanation of areas where deterioration has occurred and issues which have newly arisen. Best of luck.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: masjntt

More
7 years 8 months ago #167823 by masjntt
Thank you both xx

More
7 years 7 months ago #167879 by foojam
Hello, sorry to join this thread, it seems very much like my situation, although in different circumstances.

I have an autism spectrum disorder and depression. I am very anxious and have great difficulty using the phone especially to strangers. I feel very compromised by the invitation to call only or have someone speak for me because a lot of what has happened. These might be things that I have not trusted to others that are relevant to PIP/ESA claims and I don't want to distress a relative or have to talk things over with them as that will be inevitable if they represent me.

My psychotherapist, who would have been best to help me with this is absent through long term sickness and that also impacts on the evidence the DWP can collect. Surely there is another way to do this other than start again with a new form. It seems slightly confrontational and unfair of them to expect a telephone conversation when that is exactly what I find very very difficult, almost as much as it might be to ask someone with limited mobility to walk upstairs to get to an assessment.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #167885 by Gordon
foojam

First of all have a look at the PIP Claim guide the questions likely to be asked on the phone call are listed, they are not things that would typically be classed as personal although I understand that you may not agree :)

It is possible to order a paper PIP1 but you really need to manage the process very carefully and I strongly recommend that you retain the option of phoning if necessary.

The issue is that you will only be given 28 days for the DWP to receive a completed PIP1, after which your DLA payments will be suspended and you will be given a further 28 days, after this second period, your PIP claim will cancelled and your DLA claim closed. Any suspended payments will be paid once the PIP1 is received.

Members who have gone down this route have had problems getting the PIP1 sent to them and I think in all cases have struggled to return it within the initial 28 days as a result, one actually had their claims closed although this was over turned after a complaint involving their MP.

There is an address on the Gov UK site to write to for the PIP1, I'll leave posting until needed in case there is a change.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.