× Members

Financial Assessment by Council after move to PIP

More
7 years 8 months ago #167783 by GK
Hello,

My wife has just received a letter from her local Council advising her that her contribution to her home care has increased significantly as she has now moved from DLA (higher rates) to PIP (higher rates). They do a financial assessment every year.

The reason that they have given is that after moving from DLA to PIP, they do not disregard the PIP care element as they did for the DLA care element any more.

This has resulted an increase of approximately £30 per week that she now has to contribute towards her care (Direct Payment). Here benefits have only increase by £3 per week.

How is this fair? Are there any arguments(legal documents, guides, etC) that we can use to dispute this large increase?

Thanks in advance for any help.

GK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167788 by Gordon
GK

It may be a result of the Care Act being introduced last year but as far as I can find both the DLA Care component and the PIP Daily Living component, but not either Mobility component, can be included in the calculations.

See the following for more details.

www.disabilityrightsuk.org/how-we-can-he...s-independent-living

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: GK

More
7 years 8 months ago #167789 by GK
Hi Gordon,

Thank you. I found this in the above link you provided:- "If you get an amount for night time needs included in your care component of DLA and if social services do not provide night time care to you, then you should be allowed to keep this amount of night time of your DLA. Hence, your local authority is not allowed to count an award for night needs where they are only providing day time care (and vice versa). The personal independence payment (PIP) is assessed differently and does not divide components into day and night time care requirements. If your award for PIP is based on, for instance, both day and night care needs, you should request that not all of your daily living component is taken into account if the social services only provide you with day care help."

Is this mentioned in any legislation that she can refer too?

Thanks

GK

More
7 years 8 months ago #167791 by Bill24chev
Replied by Bill24chev on topic Financial Assessment by Council after move to PIP
GK
Does your wife receive care arranged by your local council during the night or only during the day.?

I ask this because DLA Higher Rate Care covered care requirements for both night and day. i believe many LA's took this into account and only took the equivalent of Middle Rate DLA Care into account when calculating the income for persons financial contribution if no care was provided after "Bed Time" or during the night. There is some case law about this (R(Carton) v Coventry City Council (2001).

However PIP does not differentiate between or separate Night or Day care needs. and as Gorden said the Care Act 2014 allows LA's to take into account all of the PIP care amount.

BUT the 2014 Act and guidelines state that if a person has expenditure on Care needs "not " supplied by the LA the cost of this should be deducted from the amount paid to the LA over and above any other allowances that the legislation allows. For example we were able to get the cost of incontinence disposables deducted from the amount my Mother-in-law paid for her LA arranged care.

bill.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167806 by Gordon

GK wrote: Hi Gordon,

Thank you. I found this in the above link you provided:- "If you get an amount for night time needs included in your care component of DLA and if social services do not provide night time care to you, then you should be allowed to keep this amount of night time of your DLA. Hence, your local authority is not allowed to count an award for night needs where they are only providing day time care (and vice versa). The personal independence payment (PIP) is assessed differently and does not divide components into day and night time care requirements. If your award for PIP is based on, for instance, both day and night care needs, you should request that not all of your daily living component is taken into account if the social services only provide you with day care help."

Is this mentioned in any legislation that she can refer too?

Thanks

GK

I'm afraid we don't advise on Direct or Care Payments.

The issue is that PIP makes almost no reference to the time of day at which the claimant might have problems, the only area that immediately springs to mind would be Managing Therapy. I would suggest that you try an get local advise as they will likely have experience of dealing with your Local Authority.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 8 months ago #167838 by GK
Thanks Bill for your help.

My wife is on Direct Payment and she uses this to hire PAs to assist her with her daily needs during the day. I am the main carer during the nights.

You mentioned below that " the 2014 Act and guidelines state that if a person has expenditure on Care needs "not " supplied by the LA the cost of this should be deducted from the amount paid to the LA over and above any other allowances that the legislation allows."

Would the care I provide at nights fall into this category? Not sure how I can quantify this into a monetary sum.

GK

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.