× Members

Change of circumstances delay

More
7 years 7 months ago #167786 by SJ66
Change of circumstances delay was created by SJ66
Hi, has anyone else tried to report a change of circumstance & had a 2mth+ delay in receiving any paperwork?

Last year I was awarded standard rate daily living (1st claim in June was refused, 2nd attempt end of August was awarded in October, and after appeal tribunal in Feb this yr was backdated to my original claim in June) based on osteoarthritis of the hip, but no mobility as I was able to walk more than 20m on crutches.

My condition has now worsened to the point I can't walk more than a couple of metres (on crutches, can't walk more than a few steps without) and I am unable to sleep due to constant pain despite being prescribed liquid morphine amongst other painkillers. I'm on the waiting list for a 1st hip replacement and will need the other hip replaced after that.

So on 8th July I phoned DWP to report a change of circumstances, 2 months later & several phone calls I still haven't received a new 'how your disability affects you' form to complete. Each time I phone to chase it I'm given a different excuse, ie. 'There's a backlog', I might not have to complete a new form or 'sorry, it's been sent to the benefit office but we don't know why you're still waiting'.

I phoned again today and said I wanted to complain about this delay so I've been told I will get a call back within 5 working days.

I'm starting to wonder if there's something they're not telling me - it was certainly suggested today that there's notes on my record that will explain the delay but only the person who rings me back can tell me!

Is this normal??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #167803 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Change of circumstances delay
SJ

It's really important when reporting a Change in Circumstances that it is done in writing to the DWP office dealing with your claim, as you have found out, reporting a change on the phone can result in problems.

As you are awaiting a call back there is little advice that we can give at the moment, but I would emphasise strongly the original date that you notified them on as it will effect the date that any backdating is applied from.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.