× Members

The brown envelope has arrived...

More
7 years 8 months ago #167861 by eigenmode
The brown envelope has arrived... was created by eigenmode
Yesterday's post brought the dreaded brown envelope with the PIP decision. Having transferred from DLA MRC & HRM to PIP I have been awarded standard rate care for both.

Despite going into fulsome detail about my mobiity problems the DM said that I could walk between 20 and 50 metres, as evidenced by the fact that I could walk the 10 metres from my front door to a taxi - even though it is on record (taped assessment) that I sit on the wall outside to get my breath back, and then only have to walk 5 metres to get into the cab once it arrives.

The DM also states that he has taken into account the problems with my left leg, but has totally ignored the more serious amputations and surgical interventions on my right foot. These were not discussed during the assessment, but he states that he has read the PIP2 form, where they were stressed, and the associated doctor's report and has based his decision on these as well as the assessment. Accordingly I was only awarded 10 points for the mobility component.

I am more mystified than annoyed at the moment.

Is it worth MRing this do you think, because I have at least retained some of my benefits?

Many thanks to the Mods here for their excellent knowledge, and the very useful input from Forum members too.

Mike (still mystified)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #167872 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic The brown envelope has arrived...
MIke

First of congratulations on the award you have received. :)

Pursuing the matter further is really something that only you can decide. Can you reliably on the majority of days walk more than 20m, if you can then the award is correct, if you can't then your need to consider whether to challenge it.

I agree that walking to a taxi, even if you completed the 10m without sitting on the wall half way does not mean that you can walk 20m. Are there any activities, such as going out shopping, hospital visits or entry in a marathon that contradicts what you have said in your PIP2?

You do need to consider the risk to your current award, even though you may ask them to only look at the Mobility component the likelihood is that they will look at the whole thing, if you only scored 8 points for Daily Living then the risk might be higher than if your scored more.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: eigenmode

More
7 years 8 months ago #167892 by eigenmode
Replied by eigenmode on topic The brown envelope has arrived...
Thanks for the concise reply Gordon; this is in line with what I was thinking. I think I will stay with the status quo and not rock the boat.

What a can of worms!

My award is for three years, based on the fact (DM's fact) that my condition may change. Armed with the advice from here I will document my next three years and will address the next brown envelope with the ammunitionthis site has provided me.

Many thanks to everyone here, and I will be staying around.

Best regards,

Mike
The following user(s) said Thank You: slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris