× Members

Can anyone advise?

More
7 years 7 months ago #168701 by Rachel Rigg
Can anyone advise? was created by Rachel Rigg
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could let me know what to expect in an ESA court hearing. I had my second health assessment in march and the gave me no points. My first health assessment 6 months earlier deemed me too ill to work but this one that I'm fit to work. My doctor wrote to them telling them that there's no way I'm fit to work and that if I was well enough I would be working. I suffer from CRPS (complex regional pain syndrome), PoTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), insomnia and depression. The report we got from the health assessment was bizarre it was like she had written down the complete opposite to what I had said to each question. We had a mandatory reconsideration which didn't go in our favour and I have the court case on Friday. I'm really worried about it and was wondering if anyone could let me know what sort of thing to expect.
Thanks, Rachel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #168721 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Can anyone advise?
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

I'm sorry that you are going through this :(

I don't know if you are aware that ESA is not awarded due to being 'unfit for work' per se, it is entirely dependent on meeting specific 'descriptors'. That is why you GP's letter will not have been of much help.

Qualifying for the WRAG

Qualifying for the Support Group

Although the Tribunal panel are independent of DWP, and will pay more attention to you and your evidence than the assessor's report, they still have to measure you against these descriptors. It is well worth working out which ones apply to you.

This video helps explain what will happen on the day

These should also help

Preparing for a Tribunal

Good practice for those appealing

May I suggest that you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future? This will allow you to return with further questions, or tell us how you get on, without having to start a new topic each time :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 7 months ago #168767 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Can anyone advise?
Hi Rachel,

I've answered a similar question in the post below.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?view=top...=10&id=109964#162093

I would just add that an appeal tribunal is a very informal court where you sit round a table with the panel - it's more like an interview than a court hearing. If it's any encouragement, a large number of fit-for-work decisions are being overturned on appeal, and judging by the quality of your medical report, it's not hard to see why!

Best of luck,

Derek

More
7 years 7 months ago #169035 by Rachel Rigg
Replied by Rachel Rigg on topic Can anyone advise?
Thank you for your time Derek, I will read the link now. Sorry for the delay, lost a family member yesterday and has knocked me back a bit

More
7 years 7 months ago #169052 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Can anyone advise?

Rachel Rigg wrote: Thank you for your time Derek, I will read the link now. Sorry for the delay, lost a family member yesterday and has knocked me back a bit

I am very sorry for your loss :(

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 7 months ago #169088 by Derek4
Replied by Derek4 on topic Can anyone advise?
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss too. It must be an awful time to have to go through an appeal.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.