× Members

Benefits upon marriage separation, ESA query.

More
7 years 7 months ago #169162 by Squirrel
My husband and I are separating. I am remaining in our mortgaged house with two young children. He is leaving tomorrow.

Currently I get
ESA support group Contribution based £109 week
DLA for me Low Mobility Low Care
Disabled sons DLA Care High Mobility Low
Tax Credits as a couple (he works full time)

I would like to be able to continue to do permitted work and eventually become self employed.

I have someone from Welfare rights coming to do a carers allowance application.

I am confused about what is best for my ESA claim, whether I can remain on Conts based and get a carers top up or need to change to Income based claim or whether Income Support is a better option.

My ESA is being reviewed and I will probably have to attend a medical soon. My medical team will fully support my claim.

Any advice most welcome. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #169216 by Gordon
Squirrel

As you have someone from Welfare Rights coming to your home I would ask them they should be able to work out what option will give you the best income.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
7 years 7 months ago #169222 by BenefitsBod
Replied by BenefitsBod on topic Benefits upon marriage separation, ESA query.
You may also be entitled to some help with your Council Tax. There are two potential routes (both are possible).

1) If you are the only "visible" adult** living in the property after your husband's departure, you should be entitled to a "discount" as a single occupier - that would be 25% off the otherwise full bill.

2) In addition to the above, you may be entitled to help through the means-tested Council Tax Reduction Scheme (this is the replacement for "Council Tax Benefit").

** if there are other adults living in the house, there are exceptions that mean they don't count as adults for CTAX discount purposes. If you're the only adult, it doesn't matter. If there is another adult, ask the Council if they count or not for discount purposes.

For both of the above help options, you will need to contact your local CTAX billing authority - be prepared for the possibility that each aspect may be administered by different sections within the Council.

Just a quick note about "permitted work". From first hand experience, I'd strongly advise you to get to grips with the ins and outs to avoid doing something that could get your ESA ended (or worse, inadvertently cause an overpayment). This will be especially important when you have been doing PW for 52 weeks as, for example, the maximum amount that can be earned reduces dramatically until another year has passed (and the definition of a year, in this context, isn't straight forward).

One techie point: the legal term for permitted work is "exempt work" but don't be surprised if most officers in the DWP seem oblivious to this... :- )

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.