× Members

When Im 64 and PIP

More
7 years 7 months ago #169164 by Dee Dee
When Im 64 and PIP was created by Dee Dee
Hi. I started receiving my State Pension in Nov 15 and have been getting DLA low care and HR Mobility for the last 12 years. Before my pension I was getting ESA support group. I will be 64 in January 2016. I made the comment at the time "watch this space bet I will be invited to apply for PIP" . Sure enough the invitation arrived end of August.I filled in the forms and supplied what evidence I had to hand giving lots of information (using the great help from this forum) . Must admit though it took me about 5 days , if fact I am still exhausted from it. I received an appointment to go to the assessment centre in Leeds for 9am for the 12th September. I rang and told them that this was impossible as well as my physical problems I suffer from acrophobia. I also mentioned that I was very upset that it appeared nobody had even glanced through my forms . The person on the phone was very nice and told me I would receive another appointment. The letter I received states that someone is going to come to my home ! I am really shocked plus the letter says thank you for giving them time to go through my application. Don't know what to expect now because everything seemed to be rushed, now im just left hanging. Do you think they have been in touch with my GP re. home visit. Any ideas how long I could be waiting
Thanks Dee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #169170 by shelam
Replied by shelam on topic When Im 64 and PIP
Hello DeeDee

So sorry the process of assessment is proving to be so stressful for you. I think it's a matter of of incompetence and bad management added to too many applicants and not enough staff to cope that makes the thing so complicated.

I shouldn't worry that you've been given a home appointment; all the better for you, since you won't have to worry about having to leave your home to travel; and the procedure is exactly the same as it would be at an assessment centre.

I'm sure you know what to expect, but just in case you're not sure - the assessor has no more rights than any other visitor to your home; you don't have to give him/her a 'guided tour'. They have no right to ask to look round.

It's sensible, if you can, to have someone with you for both moral and physical support. If you get stressed then your supporter can step in and help by asking for a rest, or to get you a drink or whatever it takes to help you calm yourself. Your supporter is also there so that if the assessment report isn't as accurate as it could be you have a witness to what you actually said and did.

Don't do anything that you know is going to make you unwell, or uncomfortable - if you're asked to perform any physical activity that you know you can't manage, explain that you can't do it, DON'T refuse to do it. Try to remember what you said in your application form so that if you're asked any questions you'll remember exactly how to reply.

As for how long you'll have to wait, maybe other members of the Forum can give you an idea about this; a lot depends on where you live and how much of a back log there is. You could always phone the DWP and ask if they have any idea?

It isn't likely that your GP will have been contacted about your home visit (though it is possible) - I believe it depends on which of the groups ATOS, Capita etc) carries out the examinations in your area.

Good luck with the home visit; let us know how you get on? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dee Dee

More
7 years 7 months ago #169176 by tiredteddy
Replied by tiredteddy on topic When Im 64 and PIP
Hi Dee,

If you have a look in my thread on page three "My DLA to PIP transition" you will see my timtablte to assessment next Friday.

Stewart. :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dee Dee

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.