× Members

ESA Mandatory Reconsideration

More
7 years 8 months ago #165742 by florenceng71
ESA Mandatory Reconsideration was created by florenceng71
Unfortunately, I became a member after I had my ESA Medical and have just been awarded WRAG. I was on Incapacity Benefit before. The notice I received does not tell me how many points I have been awarded so I am finding it extremely hard what to say when asking for a Mandatory Reconsideration. The Medical Assessor was absolutely heartless and wouldn't allow me to say anything. Please could you help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #165763 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA Mandatory Reconsideration
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

I am sorry you are going through this :(

You can ask DWP for a copy of the assessor's report (ESA85 if you had a face2face assessment), this will show which descriptors you met and make it clearer why you scored as you did. It usually takes a couple of weeks for this to arrive. Don't let this delay you getting your Mandatory Reconsideration request beyond the 1 month deadline, you do not need to be specific when you request the MR - although at some stage you will have to explain how/why you believe you meet the Support Group descriptors.

Qualifying for the Support Group

The ESA guides explain the process

ESA claims and appeals

and the MR/appeals FAQs should also be helpful

ESA mandatory reconsiderations and appeals

I'm afraid you must comply with any Work Focused Activities you are asked to undertake while you remain in the WRAG. The JobCentre+ adviser might be prepared to hold any 'meetings' over the phone if you ask.

Do I have to attend WFIs while I appeal?

May I suggest that you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can find it easily in future? This will allow you to return with further questions or comments about your ESA in future without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one topic - and I hope you will find it useful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: florenceng71

More
7 years 7 months ago #169528 by florenceng71
Replied by florenceng71 on topic ESA Mandatory Reconsideration
Hi Please can you advise me. July 2016 I was moved from Incapacity Benefit to ESA after a dreadful medical assessment. The result was to be moved to ESA (WRAG) After careful consideration I decided to go for a Mandatory Reconsideration and I also asked for a copy of my medical assessment results to see why they didn't place me in the "Support Group". I sent my letter Special Delivery to make sure it arrived on time. Six weeks on I have still not heard anything. Is this normal? I would have expected to at least get some acknowledgement or receive my assessment results. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I await your reply.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #169542 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic ESA Mandatory Reconsideration
Hi Florence,

I have merged this question with the previous topic relating to your ESA. It helps us enormously when everything dealing with the same claim is kept in one topic.

There is no set time in which MRs must be completed, we have seen anything from a few days to some months :(

The assesor's report is a different matter, that usually arrives in 10-14 days - so it seems as if something has gone awry in your case. I'm afraid that means another call to DWP, it is worth following up in writing too.

If this approach fails to get results, the only other thing I can suggest is to get your MP involved. MPs cannot interfere with the decision but they can often put a rocket behind DWP!

Contacting your MP

May I suggest that you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now? That will enable you to find it again easily in future :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by slugsta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: florenceng71

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.