× Members

Selling House on ESA and DLA

More
7 years 6 months ago #172307 by Leighways
Selling House on ESA and DLA was created by Leighways
Hi need some advice . I am in the proceed of selling my family home to a ground floor flat to make my life easier ,however I will have a fair bit of capital over .Now however out of that capital I have a fair few debts that need paying plus work to be carried out on the flat to get it as i need it ,Also my daughter who suffers with Bipolar,PTSD,and Personality disorder(still awaiting dx) but that is what her own gp thinks it is and she is waiting to attend a apt at the hospital is also in a debt which to make her life less stressful I would like to pay. Will my benefits be stopped as I will go over the £16,000.00 even though once I've paid for the alterations on the flat debts and new household items have been paid for it will be more than likely go under the £16,000.00.It seems unfair that even though I'm trying to make my life easier with a smaller home debt free etc I could actually make my life worse with the stopping of my benefits, and my daughter becomes more ill or even worse .Thank you in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #172338 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Selling House on ESA and DLA
Hi and Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Your DLA is not means tested, so this will not be affected, no matter how much you have in the bank.

The ESA depends on whether it is totally contributory, or whether there is any element of income-related ESA. If you are in receipt of income-related ESA(even just as a top up), you must inform DWP when you have sold your house. You should then get DWP permission for any expenditure of large amounts. Having this in writing will protect you from future claims that you deliberately deprived yourself of money in order to maintain, or restart, the income-related ESA.

May I suggest that you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now so that you can return with further questions or comments without having to start a new topic each time. It helps us enormously when everything relating to the same subject is kept in one place - and I hope you will find it helpful too :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.