× Members

Given 3 Weeks to Apply for Pip or DLA ends

More
7 years 6 months ago #172378 by hoops78
Hi Everyone,

I'm crying as I write this. I received a letter today, dated 25 October 2016 stating my DLA is ending despite having a no end date. I was shocked to see that I only have until 22 November 2016 to apply by phone. From the letter dated, they've given me less than a month to apply otherwise if I don't my DLA will end. Isn't the timescale unreasonable? I'm so unwell as it is and really struggling with my mental and physical health. I have tremors in my hands and my speech is affected by my meds so get very anxious and avoid using a phone as whenever I do I drop it, which frustrates me and causes me anxiety to talk on the phone.
If my DLA stops, I won't be able to keep warm in the winter which I struggle with due to my arthritis and fibromyalgia. I have a lot of other health conditions and to make me have to call when I can't even talk half the time, is unfair. It's like they want the DLA to end because they know I won't be able to call by that time. Do have regally caused me severe distress, worry and anxiety now. What do I do, please help me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #172396 by slugsta
Replied by slugsta on topic Given 3 Weeks to Apply for Pip or DLA ends
Hi Hoopsh,

I'm sorry that you are finding this so distressing :( Please make sure that your GP/psychiatrist is aware of the added upset you are currently experiencing.

I'm afraid that the time scales for the PIP application are laid down in law. If you do not start the PIP claim in the time given your DLA will be suspended. If you have still not applied 1 month later, your DLA would be closed irrevocably - so it really is important that you act in the time stipulated!

Once you have made the phone call to initiate the claim, you will be sent a PIP2 form a week or two later.

You will again have 1 month to complete this - which includes postage each way. You can request an extension of this time and claimants are usually given an extra 2 weeks without question.

The complete process, including the information you will need to have when you make the initial call, is explained in our PIP guide.

PIP help for claimants

May I suggest that you bookmark/favourite this on your web browser now? This will allow you to return with further questions or comments without having to start a new topic each time. You probably remember that it helps us enormously when everything relating to the same claim is kept in one topic! :)

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by slugsta.

More
7 years 6 months ago #172409 by Maggie
Replied by Maggie on topic Given 3 Weeks to Apply for Pip or DLA ends
So sorry you are facing this. I'm a little further on with this but still petrified.
You have 3 weeks to make the initial phone call. It asks for mainly straightforward details, name, address, bank details, if you have been out of the country etc. Also brief details of your disability, if you have mental health problems they will askif you have been hospitalised so they can mark you down as needing support to comply with transfer system. There are details in the PIP guide.
My tip is not to phone straight away, maybe 3 days before deadline. Be warned you will be put on hold for ages 20-30mins! But don't leave it til the last minute.
Now you have a little time to get over the shock. Get someone to help with the phone call: you'll only need to say yes to your name & consent I think. Don't do it alone.
Get an appt with GP/support worker to ask for support letters.
Download PIP2 form from GOV/UK website so you can see what information you need to collect. Nothing like DLA. Start looking at the B&W PIP guides abit at a time.
Start a daily dairy of how your condition varies with the different activities-from B&W PIP guides.
Get appt to help with form: CMHT or CAB or AgeUK if over 50.
After phone call PIP2 form arrives, mine came in 2 days! Panic. Its usually 2 weeks.
You then get 28 days to return form (actually 3 weeks with postage). BUT its fairly easy to get a 2 week extension if you are waiting for someone to help fill in form.
Hope this is of some comfort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon, slugsta

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.