× Members

Repaying overpayment

More
7 years 5 months ago #173117 by nanniehelga
Repaying overpayment was created by nanniehelga
Hi can you challenge how much you have to pay back to the social. I've just received a phone call from the fraud department asking me why I didn't tell them that my daughter was claiming carers for me. After receiving a letter last week or so reducing my benefit by taking away the severe disability premium which I didn't know they did. I'm panicking now how much more they will take away. The man kept asking the same question " why didn't you inform us " I was getting very flustered and confused and said that I didn't realised I had to. I thought it was like when you told one department that I've changed address they said they would inform all the other benifit departments.
Now I'm really in a state and it will come down too choosing heat or eat . It just seems to be getting worse by the week .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #173126 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Repaying overpayment

helen wrote: Hi can you challenge how much you have to pay back to the social. I've just received a phone call from the fraud department asking me why I didn't tell them that my daughter was claiming carers for me. After receiving a letter last week or so reducing my benefit by taking away the severe disability premium which I didn't know they did. I'm panicking now how much more they will take away. The man kept asking the same question " why didn't you inform us " I was getting very flustered and confused and said that I didn't realised I had to. I thought it was like when you told one department that I've changed address they said they would inform all the other benifit departments.
Now I'm really in a state and it will come down too choosing heat or eat . It just seems to be getting worse by the week .

You really need to get face to face advice about this, we are limited in the advice we can give on the forum without access to the letters you have sent and received about this matter, do an internet search for "welfare advice" with your postcode, town or county.

There are two issues which will be dealt with separately, how much you owe for failing to notify the DWP, this may include a Civil Penalty and then secondly how the money is recovered. You will have a right of appeal in regard the total amount that is recoverable, as to what I expect will be a weekly amount recovered there is a standard formula that will be used, you will need to show you are struggling with the deductions for the amount to be reduced.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: nanniehelga

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #173142 by BenefitsBod
Replied by BenefitsBod on topic Repaying overpayment
I am sorry but I cannot allow your post.

This message contains confidential information
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Gordon.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.