× Members

PIP2 Forms available in MS Word (docm) and PDF For

More
7 years 1 month ago #184978 by Andrew Bundy
When I first went through the PIP1 telephone process, I requested, naively, a PDF version of the PIP2 form in the same way that DLA used to have one. I was told, after some delay, yes there was one, it would be posted (?)

After two weeks - a paper version arrived. Spent two more weeks back and forth to the DWP, ultimately to be told by three different people that NO, there was no such beast. If I could not write the form, get help from CAB or, <ROFLACGU> (Rolls on Floor Laughing and can't get up) print out the answers in Word in a carefully sized text box, cut them out, and glue them onto the form. Wow - just like play-school.

I entered into a reasoned discussion about the Equality Act and reasonable adjustments, to be told the Law doesn't apply to the DWP. OK, finally they admit what we've known they believe all along. Ultimately got fed up, and wrote to my MP asking him (or his excellent minions) to investigate.

Three weeks late, got a wonderful phone call from Lorraine in the DCPU (aka alternative formats unit) who, after an exchange of emails to prove my identity, sent me a Word format form. Cool!

Well - no. It was actually a load of cr4p as all Word forms are and seemed to have been designed in the worst way possible, and could not even be saved. In the spirit of co-operation though, I continued to provide feedback on my experience, and eventually received a PDF version which I'm currently completing.

I have to say, this version is perfect. All the data you enter stays with the form. the text/font pitch resizes as you fill the box if required, and generally it just works. It is not perfect - some single line fields could be multi-lined and tool-tips need improving, and surprisingly the form is not locked or certificated, so can be structurally edited which could cause potential problems down the road along the 'well - prove that's not the form you sent' variety.

However, the team behind the forms, and I presume other formats, are very helpful and understanding, much at odds with pretty much everyone else at the DWP involved in PIP where the initial situation had gotten so bad I was on the verge of taking out legal (equality act) court action for discrimination - but of course DWP staff never give their full names.....

You can contact them at the:
Alternate Format Team A108
Warbreck House
Warbreck Hill
Blackpool FY2 0ZE
or via email - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

My contact's name was Lorraine - but I only mention this to commend her for her dogged persistence in helping me with the forms, especially as I'm inclined to send horribly long emails. I would never recommend targetting individuals because there is the risk of them being on holiday, etc.

The good news, maybe, depending on how you look at it, is that the forms, especially the PDF versions, are still considered in BETA testing. Thus if you encounter problems, the team have the ability to extend your target date. More importantly, they are not only willing but keen to receive objective and well-documented feedback and suggestions on any problems you encounter which are fed back to the developers.

If you are familiar with using either Windows or (graphical) Linux (or simiilar) along with Adobe PDF in a more recent version, you can complete forms in the totally free 'READER version (if you're installing, select 'custom' installation options to be sure you don't install any extra 'vitally useful' rubbish-ware along with it. Once downloaded and running, completing the form is very easy to do, you can zoom in on the form, Acrobat is, I understand, accessible to a variety of accessibly technology tools if the built in ones are not enough, and the experience is otherwise identical to completing the standard form, without struggling with pen and paper.

I can only commend both the team and their work. It is, however, a shame that the rest of the DWP (illegally, IMHO) deny their existence. I would be keen to hear if anyone has tried or thought about court action on discrimination over this?

PM me with any questions.

Andy

Thanks for listening,
Andy

Andy currently unable to work, but employed by US Telecoms Company, with 20 years experience in technical and managerial aspects. Previously worked as carer and assistant manager in disability residential home, leaving with back injury (no surprise there!).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spaceman, cricket, mickdevon63

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 1 month ago #184998 by Gordon
A

Thank you for your post.

How have they dealt with the issue of including a claimant specific bar code?

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #190707 by Andrew Bundy
Replied by Andrew Bundy on topic PIP2 Forms available in MS Word (docm) and PDF For
The use of full names or nicknames is a perennial nightmare, especially in this current political and generally disability-unfriendly climate. My personal belief is that honesty and transparency and speaking clearly with your own name attached is as important as what you've got to say. After all, those who don't understand the risks that members of this forum run by speaking out, won't put much stock in a statement made by "Mr Anonymous".

However, my pursuit of honesty has not done me any good recently, so I take your point regarding the use of nicknames, whether I like it or not.

As for barcodes, I don't know. My belief is that while they assist in the processing of the forms, that is all they do. I am quite sure that once my printed form arrived at the postal hub, a bar code was affixed to it, as well as all the supporting paperwork, so it probably does not matter.

My experience was that the Word version was, in some manner, identifiable, as there was a strong message not to share it with anybody else for this reason alone. However, the Word version was about as useful as a chocolate teapot - a fact I freely shared with them in my feedback.

The PDF version did not appear to be identifiable, but I believe I received a beta version, because forms which should have been locked, were not, etc. Should the DWP choose to stick to PDF then there are numerous options for them to distribute the forms with barcodes automatically embedded along with other identifying marks, and even receive them back and have them automatically linked to their database. Hopefully, they will develop this technology further, I have volunteered myself as a beta tester in the future.

What should not have been required was the intervention of my MP simply to be connected to the right department, and for all the frontline call handlers to deny the existence of the alternative options despite the information being given to them in all of their desk level procedures.

Long live alternative formats.;

Thanks for listening,
Andy

Andy currently unable to work, but employed by US Telecoms Company, with 20 years experience in technical and managerial aspects. Previously worked as carer and assistant manager in disability residential home, leaving with back injury (no surprise there!).
The following user(s) said Thank You: MariW, cricket, Mrsnitacska

More
5 years 8 months ago #215930 by cricket
I am so glad you posted this Andrew. I was looking for the same as you when my pip forms just arrived and getting through to the stupid pip helpline at all was almost impossible and when you do they have such a helpful, warm, human "Computer says NO!" attitude.

Sent my details to the email address you posted and a few days later received a phone call from the wonderfully helpful Lorraine you mention and got it all sorted out in mere minutes.

Anybody who would prefer using a PDF form just email this dept, don't worry about how long they take to get back to you as they extended my return date to a whole month and also told me if it's taking longer just call for the time extension.

Just sooooo happy I found this thread because it has been the only source in my searching that reveals this VITAL information.

More
5 years 8 months ago #216007 by david
Hi Andrew

Great advice on this matter...… I emailed
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. And explained my situation regarding the forms and within 2 hours a lady called me and asked some questions of ID and then sent me the PDF format version and gave me an extra month to complete.. She was so helpful and said the word needs to be put out there that the PDF version is available more easily.. Thanks again Andrew.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheMerlin486

More
5 years 3 weeks ago #228138 by TheMerlin486
Replied by TheMerlin486 on topic PIP2 Forms available in MS Word (docm) and PDF For
Ive dropped them a line this morning, hopefully i will get something by return on Monday. Great info shared, many thanks

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.