× Members

Manual Wheelchair- Mobility Scooter and ESA claim

More
6 years 10 months ago #191613 by Rocky.uk
My story in brief (my age 49)- I use a manual wheelchair.
When I was 13yr , I was run over by a bus which crushed my left elbow but I could still walk. My Left elbow through out my life gave me pain. When I was 41yr, I contracted meningitis, had a host of problems including having my heart valve replaced and ended up reliant on a wheelchair. When I push my chair after a distance I have to stop because of the pain in left elbow. I've been on ESA for the past 8yrs but now have had to make a new claim. I receive the mobility component at the higher rate. Can the DWP make me get a mobility scooter. I'm terrified of running someone over with a Scooter or crashing of a kirb, also pushing my chair (making numerous stops) is the only exercise I get. I need the exercise for my dodgy ticker. Can the DWP make me get a scooter?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #191663 by Gordon

PG wrote: My story in brief (my age 49)- I use a manual wheelchair.
When I was 13yr , I was run over by a bus which crushed my left elbow but I could still walk. My Left elbow through out my life gave me pain. When I was 41yr, I contracted meningitis, had a host of problems including having my heart valve replaced and ended up reliant on a wheelchair. When I push my chair after a distance I have to stop because of the pain in left elbow. I've been on ESA for the past 8yrs but now have had to make a new claim. I receive the mobility component at the higher rate. Can the DWP make me get a mobility scooter. I'm terrified of running someone over with a Scooter or crashing of a kirb, also pushing my chair (making numerous stops) is the only exercise I get. I need the exercise for my dodgy ticker. Can the DWP make me get a scooter?

Np they can't, any decision to move from you wheelchair to scooter is entirely yours.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #191744 by Rocky.uk
Thank you for clearing that up

PG

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris