× Members

pip and physiotherapy

More
6 years 10 months ago #192685 by lorraine d
pip and physiotherapy was created by lorraine d
I am in a quandry with the mobility part of the pip form. I have psoriatic arthritis and osteoarthritis. I have had PA since 1991 and have had 3 joint replacements In 2012 I had hip pain and back pain and x-ray showed severe damagee to right hip and moderate to severe damage to lower lumber spine and mild/moderate damage to left hip Was told osteoarthritis in spine. I had R hip replacement in 2012. Since then the back pain has been getting worse and a recent x-ray showed severe damage to lower lumber spine. I have pains in my back, legs, back of thighs and knees and toes on left foot. Dr said this was due to nerves in the spine which go down the legs being compressed and causing acute 'electric shock type pains' when walking - this is bad enough to stop me walking until it eases. I have constant pain in my knees and swelling in my ankles and feet. My quandry is that I cannot walk more than a few steps without pain - I cannot stand up without using chair arms for support or a person to help me up if the chair is low. I was referred to physio and was given a goal setting program to help with pain - this involved walking even a few steps every day and trying to increase the distance and tolerate the pain. My GP has also advised me to try to do the same as this exercise will help strengthen my leg muscles. She told me to do it on a level surface. I live on a hill and need to be taken to a space where there is a level surface. She also told me when the pain or the effort gets too much to take a rest. I do try to do this when I feel I can as I can see how this would be good for me. But - will the DWP read this that I can walk more than 20 metres. I have done more than 20 metres with a walking stick but it is exhausting and painful and I need to rest afterwards as I cannot find the energy to do anything. I am still on DLA higher mobaility indefinitely just now. My condition has worsened since it was awarded 9 years ago - I didn't know I could apply for it before then even though I have had arthritis since I was 42 - 26 years ago. Sorry to go on - hope you understand do I put on the form that walking physiotherpy is recommended even very limited distance is better than nothing I don't want to loose my mobility component.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #192717 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic pip and physiotherapy
Lorraine

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

You are not required to walk pain free but any pain that restricts the distance that you can walk should be taken into account.

Specifically for the Moving Around activity, if you are able to walk but you are in severe pain when doing so, then you can argue that your walking is not to a necessary standard and should be disregarded.

The legal test requires you to stand and then move (walk), so if you have problems getting up then you should document these as well.

You must be able to walk the distance you can, reliably and on the majority of days, both these terms are defined in the PIP Claim guide

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/pip

So you need to explain what you can, how you are limited and why.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 10 months ago #192767 by lorraine d
Replied by lorraine d on topic pip and physiotherapy
Thank you Gordon. I have sent my form in today. I sent in detailed extra information sheets describing how I use the chair arms or table to stand up and if the seat has no arms or is low then I need the help of another person. I told them that every step is painful but am able to walk up to 20m with some difficulty ie pain, exhaustion and fear of falling. I have fallen 4 times in the last 18 months, I don't really know why it feels as if my knee or leg gives way or locks, it doesn't do what I am expecting anyway, which is move forward. I have found the whole thing very stressful - I have had this illness for 26 years and normal for me is having to deal on a daily basis with pain, stiffness, fatigue and depression.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.