× Members

Re PIP - should assessor read notes prior?

More
6 years 7 months ago #199687 by Major Tom
Hi,

I have multiple chronic health conditions post cancer and received DLA middle rate care with low rate mobility.

I applied for PIP when invited and sent consultants letters with the claim form but just received their decision that I will get nothing as was only awarded 2 points.

At the face to face assessment, the first thing the assessor did was explain that they cannot read the claimants notes beforehand in case it biases them, so she had no idea of my history or diagnosis. But when I just read the DWP PIP Assessment Guide, it clearly says that assessors should read the claimants notes and documentation prior to assessment, page 33 2.6.6

Which is correct?

It may explain why I was not asked about pain or fatigue, but not why I was documented as having completed the mini mental state exam when my sister remembers clearly that I couldn't and I have neuropsych documented cognitive problems.

Next steps?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #199725 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Re PIP - should assessor read notes prior?
T

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explain where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Yes, assessors should read the claimants form and evidence before the assessment but one of the Assessment Providers, I'm afraid I can't remember which one, has instructed their staff to read the content after the assessment.

You have two options, wait for the Decision or try and influence the Decision Maker before they make that Decision.

If you want to contact them now then write a letter explaining why you believe the recommendation is incorrect, address it to the Decision Maker and send it to the DWP office dealing with your claim.

If the Decision does not result in an award the you can request a Mandatory Reconsideration of the Decision.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris