× Members

ESA IR

More
6 years 7 months ago #200526 by Mabel2015
ESA IR was created by Mabel2015
Hi. I currently claim income related ESA and also help with council tax. As my sister is not happy at home at the moment, she is thinking of staying with me 3 nights a week. Would this affect my benefits? She receives no income related benefits herself, just a small amount of DLA. She would still be registered as paying council tax at her home address along with her husband. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 7 months ago #200556 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA IR

Mabel2015 wrote: Hi. I currently claim income related ESA and also help with council tax. As my sister is not happy at home at the moment, she is thinking of staying with me 3 nights a week. Would this affect my benefits? She receives no income related benefits herself, just a small amount of DLA. She would still be registered as paying council tax at her home address along with her husband. Thanks

Providing you are not receiving the Severe Disability Premium with your ESA, which would require you to have a qualifying DLA or PIP award which you have not mentioned then her living with you will have no impact on your ESA as she will not be considered as part of your household.

I am less sure of the Council Tax as we do not advise on this, but I believe it is based on your ESA award and not your circumstances, so I would not expect any impact.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.