× Members

Transitional addition entitlement for ESA

More
6 years 6 months ago #202026 by disabled mum
Transitional addition entitlement for ESA was created by disabled mum
When I was moved from IB to the ESA WRAG in 2013, there was a top up payment, and therefore no reduction in the amount of benefit I received. I appealed my ESA, was moved to the support group, and the benefit remained the same amount, (with a top up). I have now been reassessed, and moved from the support group to the WRAG. My contribution-based benefit has been reduced by £7.50pw. The DWP letter indicates a 'lower amount of top up' than before, but confusingly states I won't see a reduction in the level of benefit as a result of the change, when the total weekly payment in the letter confirms that I have. Is this right, and is the transitional addition being reduced? I have had no break in receiving ESA since the transfer from IB, and I'm £7.50 pw worse off than when I received IB.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 6 months ago #202056 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Transitional addition entitlement for ESA
disabled mum

The Transitional Payment was fixed at the time your were transferred from IB to ESA, it can only reduce, not increase.

The £7.50 reduction is the difference between the Support Group rate and that for the WRAG.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 6 months ago #202185 by disabled mum
Replied by disabled mum on topic Transitional addition entitlement for ESA
Thank you. I afraid I'm still confused by the 'rules' regarding the transitional addition for people migrating from Incapacity Benefit to ESA. Everything I have read states that the 'transitional addition makes the ESA up to the level of their old IB rate, until either the ESA rate catches up or 5th April 2020, whichever comes first.' There is virtually no information out there on the transitional addition other than what I have quoted, Just a thought but perhaps there needs to be better guidance published on this. When a person moves within the two ESA groups, they will receive a lower level of payment and not a 'frozen rate' based on their old IB rate. If it's happened to me then others will be affected too.
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris