× Members

Croydon Assessment Centre stairs

More
6 years 4 months ago #203147 by Joe
Hello everyone.

I have an assessment for ESA next week in Croydon. I am currently in the Support Group. I had my last assessment 3 years ago in Brighton.

My concerns are that in the letter sent it says that there are 42 steps up to the first floor and in the event of an emergency would I have difficulty using the stairs. A part of my condition is progressive neuropathy, and I use a walking stick. I would find it very difficult to use the stairs in an event of an emergency. Should I call and I'm confused as to the number to call.

Secondly, the last time I had an assessment was in Brighton, which is much closer to me, Croydon is twice the distance so this does not make sense. Would it be possible to ask to change the assessment centre to the Brighton one?

Thank you for any help.

Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #203164 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Croydon Assessment Centre stairs
Joe

You need to tread a fine line with this, phone them and tell them that you could not manage the stairs in an emergency, this makes it a Health & Safety issue and they are required to change the appointment, it may result in it being moved to Brighton.

This would not count as one or your two opportunities to attend, however, if they do not move it to Brighton or the date or time that they offer is not convenient and you have to ask them to look for a new appointment then it will probably be counted as one of your two.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 4 months ago #203380 by Joe
Replied by Joe on topic Croydon Assessment Centre stairs
Hi Gordon,

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

Could I request that the assessment is relocated to Brighton as it is much closer to me?

I will ring them, although it's constantly engaged, and tell them that I would not be be able to manage the stairs in an emergency.

I did not know that I had 2 opportunities to attend. As I would not be able to manage the stairs can they still make me attend at Croydon?

Joe.

More
6 years 4 months ago #203386 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Croydon Assessment Centre stairs
Joe

Start by saying you cannot manage the stairs, this should prompt a change of venue, if they don't move the appointment to Brighton then you can ask for them to do this. I would not expect them to persist with Croydon.

It's important that the new appointment is booked while you are on the phone so that you are happy, or as happy as you can be, about the details.

It may also help if you leave it until a day or two before the current date, that way you should be able to ensure that it will be next year before you have to attend.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.