× Members

Pain Management

More
6 years 2 months ago #209294 by MrFibro
Pain Management was created by MrFibro
Hi to all,

I'm not sure if i can or should post this here, but i do find it relevent to claimants who receive ESA & PIP.

I'm interested in knowing if any members who suffer with chronic intractable illnesses or conditions, and their GP has referred them to Pain Management.

ie pain management solutions of such alike! Not lets say steroid injections etc or pain blocks. But pain management through group therapy over a period of time.

My reason for asking is this:

If a claimant decided to go on such a pain management course or therapy, would or has this caused a conflict with any future Assessments of ESA or and PIP.

Example patient (A) has been referred to Pain management, But the patient (A) finds that what the pain management offers, as in regards to managing ones own pain, that Patient A can or is already managing.

Therefore Patient (A) doesn't refuse the course, but explains that they feel the course cannot or would not benefit them as most of the stuff they offer they already know about and do. Example like i can self pace myself, i can do very light exercise, i can self meditate etc.

Now when patient (A) goes to their GP for medical evidence ie a letter of support to send to Capita and or Maximus or DWP, would the GP, or has the GP put down in his / her support letter that you refused the pain management course even though the pain management team, deferred you, as they couldn't really offer you any benefit to your chronic pains.

How would or did the assessors or DWP View this?

Would it, or did it have a detrimental affect on your assessment/s outcome?

Or if patient (A) goes on the course and things never worked out because what therapy was offered the patient didn't benefit from any of it.

Then patient (A) goes to GP for letter of support for a coming re-assessment etc, would or were any claimants penalised for this.

I'm not 100% sure if I've been able to make myself clearly understood, but the bottom line is this. Would or did any members find that not going or going on such a pain management course caused them to a downgrade or a refusal of continuation of ESA or PIP or both.

I'm interested in members views as I've been referred for a pain management course. And i had a chat with one of the team and told him that a lot of what is offered i am already doing.

And the team member kept pushing me into signing up. Of which i felt a bit uncomfortable with. I can honestly say up till now this person isn't really selling it to me.

Because there's been no mention of how long a session lasts, how many sessions is needed, and more importantly....is this offered on a 1to 1 basis.

reason being as i have great fear of groups even if really small, and this causes me more anxiety and pain, and causes an explosion of pain etc with my FIBRO inevitably leaves me distressed and depressed.

All the team member said was I need you to sign up today! I said no, I cannot, I need time to think this out thoroughly.

I know its my own decision to either go on, or don't go on this pain management course, but i feel it's all going to cause me to have more panic attacks.

And i have a great GP, but I'm also scared my GP may take a very dim view of me not joining the course and next time round, when my re-assessments are due, my GP may refuse me or write in his letter of support that i did not go on a pain management course, even though I had more than good reason not to.

Kind regards to all for reading.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #209407 by standswithafist
Replied by standswithafist on topic Pain Management
I feel for you as if sounds like you are tying yourself up in knots!
If (and only if and when) asked whether or not you have been referred to or attended a pain management course, then your answer is no, because it will trigger a panic attack and be more detrimental to your health. However, you already follow a similar self management approach to that which is included in the course.
I doubt very much if you will be asked in regard to benefits.
My own example - for M. E. I was assessed by a Physiotherapist that group Pilates would be beneficial, but I began fainting during the class. On investigation, it was found I have a cardiac arrhythmia which excluded me from the therapy. The Physios could not take responsibility for me having a cardiac arrest during the group session. I would think that whoever is running the pain management group therapy would be in a similar position.
Just a thought, but I hope it helps.
Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrFibro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.