× Members

Question 3 - on applicable descriptor

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #212911 by Belle
Replied by Belle on topic Question 3 - on applicable descriptor
Hi Gordon

I'm back again, and now I'm anxious and distressed that I am bothering you, that I should have understood your answers by now.

I tried replying to your last message 2 days ago, but the system said I was logged out - even though I wasn't - and didn't post it. I could not cope with trying to write it again at time. Then I've been so ill I couldn't function or think straight about anything. This is a regular problem, I can't function so it's days between communicating with you.

So question 1)
You say that they have started reviewing 1.5m cases after the court ruling - but they are not applying the court ruling to any decisions made on current PIP applications?
I know that the government does bizarre things, but this just gives them a ton more reviews to do - are you 100% sure? Sorry, just wondered.

2) I'm still totally confused.
In the past when doing DLA I just wrote my account of all the problems I have leaving my home, and all the psychological distress problems I have when I am out.
Now it seems, unless I have understood wrong, that to be awarded any mobility I cannot actually write a full picture? I have to leave part of my problems out?

Also, I thought you were saying in your 2nd reply to me, that I cannot argue for 'f' - that "I cannot be assessed for trying to follow a route"
Here:
"I understand the argument you are making about when you do go out, but I feel that this is offset by your being able to go out on the other days, so you can't be assessed for being unable to follow a route. This is the problem that is created by trying to score for both of these Descriptors."

OR did you mean that you don't think I should be arguing for 'e', because I do go out sometimes, even though the percentage of days I go out is low?
I thought that I could argue for 'e' based on the high percentage of not being able to go out??
But, it would be an act of ommission about my condition to not say about the difficulties I do have when out, but the argument is, that those very problems make me too anxious to go out most of the time - this is true by the way, I'm not saying that I'm trying to twist anything in replying to question 13.

OR are you actually saying that you think 'f' does apply to me, - it is the better descriptor? And that I should be arguing for 'f' based on the problems I have when out??

In your last reply to me you said:
"No I am saying that if you argue that you can't go out then it will undermine your arguments that you cannot follow a route."

Are you saying I shouldn't argue for 'e' because I do go out sometimes, and that will prevent me getting 'f'?
OR are you just advising me that arguing for 'e' will mean I cannot get 'f'?
I do know that. I am probably being confusing myself, with my going in circles. I know that only one descriptor can apply.
I am just so confused which one applies best??
And which they would think applies.

I know I have to make a final decision today, how I am answering this question, I thought I would try one last time to see if I can understand your advice.

I am REALLY sorry if I am bugging you by coming back to this again.
I'm struggling, I'm in tears about this.

This has been going round and round in my head, I can't think straight and am getting very distressed, but I don't have anyone else to write these questions in this forum for me. I sometimes think I need a representative because I cannot cope and get so distressed then become non functioning. But I have no one to be that for me.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #212921 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Question 3 - on applicable descriptor
Belle

Your questions are not a problem. :)

1. Yes, we have it in writing. They will not be enacting the changes until at least next month.

2. The DLA criteria was different. Ultimately you have to write what you consider is best for your claim, I am only offering advice, not instruction. You need to take account of the wordings of the Descriptors, so (e) uses the word "cannot", as I have explained you can argue that this does not mean "never" due the reliability criteria and majority of days rule but the DWP guidance states that any trip outside of the house, however, short means that the claimant does not meet this criteria on that day.

You go out and this cannot be hidden but the more you explain your problems when outside the more likely you are to confuse the issues.

I don't know whether you have more chance scoring for (e) or (f) but you must take account of the fact that the law declares them to be mutually exclusive as you could easily end up with not points for either.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #212928 by Belle
Hi Gordon

Thank you for your answer.

It is much clearer to me now what you mean.
i.e, if arguing for 'e' - not to hide that I go out, but that I'll confuse them the more I write about my problems when out.

I still don't know which I should argue applies to me - and I understand that you cannot advise me which to do.
My worry is exactly as you said, that I can end up with neither.
But I also presume that what I argue now will affect any appeal at a later date -. i.e the descriptor I decide to argue for now is the one I have to stick with.

Thank you for your answer and advice. I just have to make that tough decision now.

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #212929 by Belle
Oh yes - you say the law will not be applied for another month - but since if I have a f2f it will be in about 8 weeks, or a PBR will also be a few weeks by the time they make the decision - could I be covered?
Or it goes by the date that my form arrives with them?

Or perhaps you do not know this.
Thanks

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #212946 by Gordon

Belle wrote: I still don't know which I should argue applies to me - and I understand that you cannot advise me which to do.
My worry is exactly as you said, that I can end up with neither.
But I also presume that what I argue now will affect any appeal at a later date -. i.e the descriptor I decide to argue for now is the one I have to stick with.

Maybe try and simplify it, as an example if you say that you cannot go out 60% of the time, then by definition you can only have problems with following a route for the remaining 40% which is not enough to score.

You can provide additional testimony and evidence at an appeal but your claim form will be one of the documents that they will have available, so it can be difficult arguing a different position,

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Belle

More
6 years 3 weeks ago #212947 by Gordon

Belle wrote: Oh yes - you say the law will not be applied for another month - but since if I have a f2f it will be in about 8 weeks, or a PBR will also be a few weeks by the time they make the decision - could I be covered?
Or it goes by the date that my form arrives with them?

Or perhaps you do not know this.
Thanks

We don't know how the DWP's guidance for this will be written until we see it but a similar Decision for supervision resulted in guidance where not one worked example resulted in the claimant scoring points.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: Belle

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.