× Members

Universal Credit/PIP

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213090 by Rob
Universal Credit/PIP was created by Rob
Please could you let me know what happens if I move to an area that universal credit is not yet full service? I am currently claiming Enhanced PIP/ESA/Severe Disablement Allowance and housing benefit in the area I'm in, although I won't be claiming housing benefit if I move as I would be moving in with a parent.. Would my PIP/ESA/Severe Disability Allowance be affected in this instance?

The other question I have. Would I then be protected through transitional protection (once it comes into action) for the severe disablement allowance, if I stay at this address? This is what people are losing out on I believe if they move.

Also, what happens if you move back into your own place once you are classed as protected and want to reclaim a housing component? Would you still be protected at this point?

I am finding the whole system very confusing. I hope you can help me clarify.

Many Thanks

R H

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213103 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Universal Credit/PIP
Rob

If you move to an area where UC is not currently available then it will have no impact on your benefits. No one is being migrated to UC at the moment, it is only claimants who need to make a new claim for one of the benefits that comes under UC in a UC Full Service area that is.

You mention Severe Disablement Allowance, do you actually mean the Severe Disability Premium? If you do then you may lose this if you move in your parents, one of the requirements is that you live alone!

If you move into your own housing and need to make a claim for Housing Benefit an the Local Authority is still no a UC area then you will be OK, but if it is a Full Service area at this time then you will have to claim UC and will not receive any Transitional Protection for your existing benefits.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213117 by Rob
Replied by Rob on topic Universal Credit/PIP
Thank you for your help Gordon I did mean Severe Disability Premium yes.

Just one further question if you wouldn't mind. What would happen if I moved from a 2 bedroom flat into a 1 bedroom flat now in the same area (I am currently in an area of full service). Would this trigger an application for universal credit? ie. Do your circumstances have to stay exactly the same in order to stay on housing benefit? Or would I still be able to keep these same benefits if I downsized....

Thanks very much again.

RH

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213119 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Universal Credit/PIP
Rob

This would result in a modification of your existing Housing Benefit, so no new claim so no UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #213121 by Rob
Replied by Rob on topic Universal Credit/PIP
Thank you so much Gordon that is very helpful.

Best Regards

Rob

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.