× Members

ESA & WORK

More
5 years 9 months ago #213835 by Daisyc3cjs
ESA & WORK was created by Daisyc3cjs
I am thinking of trying to get a part time job maybe 16/20 hours per week to see if I could manage this. If I am successful, presumably I need to inform DWP before I start to stop my benefits. Also in the event I did take a job and it didn't work out due to health reasons would I be able to get ESA reinstated or start all over again? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #213849 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA & WORK
Daisy

Think carefully before doing this.

You can do Permitted Work as part of your ESA if you work for less than 16 hours and earn no more than £125.50, there is a guide to PW in the ESA section.

If you work for 16 or more hours a week then you will have to close your ESA claim, if you find that you cannot manage this then you can make rapid reclaim of your ESA providing you do so within 12 weeks of closing your claim.

However, if your postcode is already a Universal Credit Full Service area or changes to one while you are working then you may struggle to reclaim ESA. I have seen claimants on other forums being forced to claim UC, which mean a claim from scratch.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 9 months ago #213856 by Daisyc3cjs
Replied by Daisyc3cjs on topic ESA & WORK
Thanks Gordon, it seems a bit complicated i.e., say if I work 15 hours a week and get paid £8.51 per hour this would amount to £127.65 per week so if that were the case I assume then I would loose the ESA. On the other hand if it were £125 per week I surely would not still be entitled to both?

More
5 years 9 months ago #213862 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA & WORK

Daisyc3cjs wrote: Thanks Gordon, it seems a bit complicated i.e., say if I work 15 hours a week and get paid £8.51 per hour this would amount to £127.65 per week so if that were the case I assume then I would loose the ESA. On the other hand if it were £125 per week I surely would not still be entitled to both?

If you work less than 16 hours and your income is less than the £125.50 then you can receive the PW and your ESA.

If you exceed either of the limits then you will be considered to be in remunerative work and your ESA claim will be closed.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 9 months ago #213872 by Daisyc3cjs
Replied by Daisyc3cjs on topic ESA & WORK
Thank you Gordon. It certainly seems a bizarre system where you can receive approx £400 per month and then can work and add another £500 to that. As you say I will give it some serious thought indeed,

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.