× Members

Capita breaking legislation-Equality Act?

More
5 years 9 months ago #213906 by Kasbah
My PIP Review F to F assessment took place on the first floor of a Capita Office in a busy city centre17 miles from home, leading to several problems.

1) We live in a rural area with poor public transport so my partner drove me in. There was no car park, but there were a few disabled parking bays nearby-all taken so we parked in a multi-storey car park which meant a stressful time manouvering my mobility scooter in and out of the tiny lift.

2) The Capita office was on the first floor. There was a tiny lift much like the NCP one, again a stressful struggle with the lift doors and the scooter.

3) Layout of the office was not fit for purpose-I needed to visit the loo on arrival. A receptionist went with me to lead the way, because the loo was a long way from the waiting area. It took quite a while to get there, involving cramped corridors, high volume of staff and sharp turns, with several heavy double doors that the receptionist struggled to open; my elbow was painfully bashed by one of them, as the receptionist lost control of it My scooter hit the walls a few times due to the cramped conditions and I went dangerously close to the top of the stairs at one point. The one disabled loo was engaged. An able-bodied member of Capita's staff was using it. She and the receptionist couldn't help laughing as my scooter hit yet another wall as I tried to manouvere my way out. You get the picture.

4) Assessment length. It was a long assessment. After an hour, I was exhausted, in a lot of physical pain and couldn't concentrate. I requested a break, which was refused and was told we were running over time and that more questions and the physical exam were still left to do.

All in all a horrible experience. Now, two days later I am still very unwell as a result and have not been able to function at my usual low level. Could Capita be in breach of the Equality Act?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #213915 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Capita breaking legislation-Equality Act?
Kasbah

To be honest I doubt you have a case under the Equality Act but a starting point would be for you to make a complaint to Capita.

www.capita-pip.co.uk/en/complaints.html

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kasbah

More
5 years 9 months ago #213931 by Kasbah
Replied by Kasbah on topic Capita breaking legislation-Equality Act?
Thanks Gordon, just wondering really. It feels like yet another part of what has become a truly hostile environment for disabled people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.