× Members

ESA reassessment - home visit request plus timing

• Each day as it comes
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #216060 by Each day as it comes
Replied by Each day as it comes on topic ESA reassessment - home visit request plus timing
Hi again,

Wondering what the protocol is for reviews and decision making about additional evidence faxed through by a GP in support of home visits and also what the likely time scale is for such a decision to be made? I spoke to my GP on Monday about sending extra evidence through in support of a home visit and she said she would write another letter and that the practice would aim to fax it across within the next couple of days.

How long do they usually take to make such decisions and does it sound sensible to ring the Centre for Health and Disability Assessements again on Friday to check for an update, if I haven't heard anything further? Are they supposed to respond to the claimant about the extra evidence either way? I realise that I might have to chase the GP practice if the assessment centre claim not to have received the extra evidence. My assessment is currently scheduled for Wednesday of next week and doing anything on Monday would be very difficult for me.

If I am still not granted a home visit after my GP's extra evidence, I will also need to check out with the assessment centre if they are willing and able to accommodate my need to lie down at the test centre (including on arrival at the reception whilst waiting for my appointment) and I am wondering how far in advance I need to inform them on the phone, for them to make the appropriate adaptations (despite the information already being all over my assessment form and will be repeated in my GP's additional evidence!). When I went for my PIP assessment, I did not ring ahead to check out they would be accepting of me lying down because I was too scared to contact them - and the information was all over my assessment form and medical evidence already anyway. No one rebuked me when I lay down on their seating in reception (although this has happened to me before when I did the same in A &E!), but they really didn't like the idea of me 'unexpectedly' lying down for the assessment itself and were very aggressive, stressed and confrontational about it. The PIP assessment room I was in didn't have a couch, they couldn't find any alternative available room with a couch for me on the day, and they really did not like my own back up plan of bringing my own mat and cushions to lie on, despite me saying I was ok with it. Both my assessment form and medical evidence for PIP had described my physical needs very clearly but I had not rung beforehand to check that someone had read and paid attention to this information and requests for adaptations. Are ESA assessment rooms generally set up differently from PIP ones? (Ie I note that you said you thought the ESA assessment rooms have couches in) As well as the great difficulties for the journey, if I have to attend, I am also worried that, even whilst saying I don't need a home assessment, they might say they need to have a different assessment date for them to 'meet my needs' and change the date at short notice for this reason. At least for the date they've already given , I know a friend is available to come with me.

I realise that I am probably getting a bit hung up on details but panicking a bit about all things ESA related, especially since I have to coordinate appointments with support from a trusted friend (even home ones, so without the travelling complications, I would still feel too anxious to try to undertake the assessment alone and also need extra prompting to cope with the questions due to my brain fog). I realise I might appear articulate within my messages, but this has taken me hours to write. I think it would be helpful to have as much knowledge of the process as possible. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 9 months ago #216066 by Gordon
H

You need to manage both aspects of this.

So once your GP confirms that they have faxed Maximus with their new letter then I would chase them a day or two later, to confirm that the fax has been received and as to whether a decision on a home assessment has been made or not.

If the home assessment has been rejected then again chase the venue in regard to suitable adjustments being made to allow you to lie down if you need to do so.

Historically the Maximus offices are older, they inherited many from ATOS and are more likely to have a couch.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Each day as it comes
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #216076 by Each day as it comes
Replied by Each day as it comes on topic ESA reassessment - home visit request plus timing
Thanks, Gordon.

• Each day as it comes
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #216163 by Each day as it comes
Just rang the Centre for Health and Disbility Assessments to check if they've received my GP's fax and was told that they've now decided I don't need a medical assessment at all! I'm a bit in shock (In a very good way!) I was in the support group with the premium related to being on enhanced PIP so I'm hoping this means there will be no change to anything. The person I spoke to said it was most likely given that it was a paper based assessment. Fingers crossed! Thanks again for all your support. I'll let you know when I hear anything more.

More
5 years 9 months ago #216181 by Gordon
H

Very pleased for you.

The next thing you should hear is from the DWP acknowledging that they have all of the information to make a Decision. We are currently estimating 2-6 weeks for the Decision itself.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

• Each day as it comes
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago #216186 by Each day as it comes
Thanks Gordon. I really appreciate all of your support and the opportunity to read about and learn from other people's experiences too. It's a great site. (Shame that it's needed, though!) Best wishes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.