× Members

Mobility scooter v Powered wheelchair

More
5 years 5 months ago #219341 by micksville
Mobility scooter v Powered wheelchair was created by micksville
I have used a Mobility scooter for quite some years due to lower limb disability but due to worsening issues with my hands and with transferring am now considering a powered wheelchair as my scooter lease is due for renewal. I am looking at the larger mode due to my size and am not intending to use it round the home as I do have some, albeit severely restricted mobility and don't intend to be trapped in a powered wheelchair all day. It is more because I have developed worsening issues with hands and shoulder in recent years. Does anybody know if DWP treat powered wheelchairs any differently than scooters just so I know what to expect. I ask this as wheelchairs of this kind can be used indoors so wondered if they were deemed suitable for the workplace. I am not averse to entering the job market as a disabled person though my particular disabilities and age would prove a barrier. However, I just wanted some advice as I would rather not be press ganged into it because a powered scooter might be seen differently in ESA criteria than a mobility scooter Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #219348 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mobility scooter v Powered wheelchair
micksville

Neither ESA nor PIP consider the claimant's use of a mobility scooter or a an electric wheelchair.

For ESA the test is your ability to walk and to self-propel a manual wheelchair. For PIP it is just your ability to walk.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #219358 by micksville
Replied by micksville on topic Mobility scooter v Powered wheelchair
Thanks Gordon Thought so but just wanted to be sure

More
5 years 5 months ago #219375 by micksville
Replied by micksville on topic Mobility scooter v Powered wheelchair
Just one other thing crossed my mind Gordon. I don't actually intend using the powered wheelchair indoors as I have the ability to stand and move a little but am nevertheless severely restricted. I have various aids and adaptations in my home to assist me. I do have a perch stool amongst other things and PIP awarded me Enhanced Rate Mobility and Standard Rate Care when I transferred from DLA without any hassle. Would a powered wheelchair come into the equation regarding preparing food descriptor? What I am getting at is could DWP argue I don't need a perch stool as I could use powered wheelchair to remain seated in whilst preparing meals and not award points for such? In that case though would the powered wheelchair then be deemed an aid in that respect? A powered chair would in practise not be practical in my kitchen as it would be at the wrong height, i.e. too low to facilitate my reaching properly up and across worktops etc so it is entirely academic if you see what I mean but I wonder if the said wheelchair could come into play as regards the preparing food descriptor and thus affect my care component. Sorry to ask so many questions on what should be a simple matter but the rules, as you know can be both devious and complex and though my hand issues mean I would now benefit from this PW it could have the effect of my losing support elsewhere so it is a decision I must make a judgement call on.

More
5 years 5 months ago #219379 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Mobility scooter v Powered wheelchair
micksville

I think you are over thinking this :(

In the example you quote the chair is acting as an aid so you would simply be substituting one aid (the chair) for another (the perching stool), albeit one that is actually less capable.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.