× Members

Permitted Work

More
5 years 7 months ago #220289 by Patrick
Permitted Work was created by Patrick
I am on ESA and PIP for shizoaffective disorder. I get the ESA plus the disability components totalling around £190 per week.

I volunteer once a week for four hours which involves a degree of public interaction. The workplace there have alerted me to the possibility of a part time role of 18 hours per week and that I would have a very good chance of it.

I had been wanting to do Permitted Work at some point as a precursor to hopefully getting back into work. My ESA was supposed to be up for renewal in October but I've heard nothing, and I am unsure about taking on something that could jeopardise that. I am also unsure about what benefit I would get - ESA or UC? If I got UC would I be allowed to do Permitted Work at 18 hours? Is there anything else I should be aware of while thinking this through?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #220299 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Permitted Work
Patrick

Permitted Work only allows you to work for less than 16 hours a week so you will not be able to this work under PW or even ESA.

You can do the work under UC and you may be able to restrict the hours that you are asked to work due to your health conditions but there is a good chance that the DWP will ask you find additional work. There is no concept of PW under UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 7 months ago #220315 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic Permitted Work
What work can I do that wouldn't run the risk of me being deemed fit to work?

Should I go ahead and try for it now or wait until my next assessment?

More
5 years 7 months ago #220323 by Gordon
Patrick

There is no definitive answer to this, however, anything that contradicts the reason you have been awarded ESA in the first place will be a problem.

So as previously posted the work you have mentioned would require you to close your ESA claim, if you can find work within the PW limits for hours and earnings then you can start it as soon as the DWP agree that it meets the PW requirements but it will be information passed to the assessor at your next review.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 7 months ago #220359 by Patrick
Replied by Patrick on topic Permitted Work
So it would have to be something that doesn't involve meeting the public?

How often is ESA being assessed just now? I last had mine three or four years ago and it is due now but have heard nothing, should I just leave it?

What would happen if I was assessed again, would it be ESA I'd get?
I've heard they have removed the disability components now, so if I had to appeal and even if it was successful then I would still receive less money. Is that correct?

More
5 years 7 months ago #220382 by Gordon
Patrick

The maximum time between ESA assessment is three years but we have seen some deferred, you can check when yours is due by contacting the DWP office dealing with your claim.

Your reassessment will be for ESA. There have been no changes to the Premiums paid with ESA.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.