× Members

ESA Support Group - Income related & Contributions

More
5 years 5 months ago #220506 by Red Fox
I'd like to be clear on what I am receiving and wonder what you think: I am in receipt of ESA which I believe is income related. I am also in the support group. I've not worked for over 10 years.
My council are saying that I am in receipt of contributions related ESA & have consequently increased my council tax following a recent change of address.
A recent letter from the DWP seems to state that I am in both groups but it really isn't clear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #220524 by Gordon
Red Fox

Was this a new claim for ESA or were you transferred from another benefit to ESA?

How much are you receiving each week?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #220555 by Red Fox
Hi Gordon, no this isn't a new claim. I was on Incapacity Benefit over 10 years ago and was transferred to ESA about 2 years ago. I receive approx £110 a week ESA.

More
5 years 5 months ago #220564 by Gordon
RF

Your post suggests that you are indeed receiving ESA(CB) only. If you were also receiving Income Related ESA then your payments would be at least £16 /week higher, unless there are deductions from ESA that you have not mentioned.

Although we don't advise on Housing Benefit, my understanding is that it is based on your household income, so I don't understand why your HB would be reduced just because you are only receiving ESA(CB).

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #220574 by Red Fox
I am apparently receiving income related also but at "zero" rate. The DWP letter states this. I don't understand it but the letter says this. The council said in their letter that the reduction in housing benefit (council tax increase) was because I moved house, but by email they say it is because I was moved from income to contribution ESA and the DWP informed them of this. My income hasn't increased so I can't understand why my council tax has gone up.

I have a private pension of 190 pounds a month. Could that be a reason they are doing this? Although I had that previously.

What question/s should I put to them? They just avoid responsibility.

More
5 years 5 months ago #220579 by Gordon
RF

There is no such thing as ESA(IR) at a zero rate, either you are receiving it or you are not and you cannot be with your pension.

Council Tax rates and deductions are specific to the Local Authority so it could be that the rules are different for the area you are now in.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.