× Members

changes of circumstances - or not? Abroad 2 weeks

More
4 years 7 months ago #236701 by Gary
Hi Ostia

JSA: Under Reg 19(2) JSA Regs in any 12 month period, you can be away from home for up to two weeks,. If you inform DWP that you were away for a few weeks on family business then DWP my believe that you were working, you have to be careful with what words you use in describing why you were absent.

ESA; if you were entitled to ESA immediately before leaving Great Britain and are temporarily absent, you can continue to be entitled: Regs 151-55 ESA Regs; regs 88-92 ESA Regs 2013 for the first four weeks, if your absence is unlikely to exceed 52 weeks and for the first 26 weeks if your absence is unlikely to exceed 52 weeks and is solely in connection with arrangements made to treat your disease or disablement.

To be entitled to HB, the rules require you to occupy your home, except during certain temporary absences, this means that you cease to be entitled if you go abroad: s130(1)(a)SSCBA 1992; reg 7 HB Regs; reg 7 HB(SPC)Regs. If you are temporarily absent from your home and are outside Great Britain, your entitlement generally only continues during an absence of up to four weeks, unless you come into a limited number of exceptions.

Gary

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: ostia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #236744 by Bud
Hi,

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread, but whilst we're on the subject - Does this mean that you could be on holiday for 4 weeks in a 12 month period, or up to 4 weeks per holiday? Pleasee excuse my ignorance :huh:

More
4 years 7 months ago #236772 by Gordon
Bud

You can go on holiday multiple times but I would separate them by reasonable periods., the next limit is six months and is concerned with tax and residency.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bud

More
4 years 7 months ago #236976 by ostia
I forgot to explain that "family business" means family events eg weddings and so on but yes I will think of another phrase.
I am still not sure whether a short trip of up to 2 weeks to visit family eg for the above needs to be reported to DWP as a change of circumstance ...either before or after the event. Or is it ok as it is not work and is less than the 4 week slot allowed? I assumed the latter...but worried as when I rang for my PIP claim form they asked me this and I explained I had been away with mother to visit family for 2 weeks last year and also year before. Will I be penalised for that?? I have the PIP form anyway, nearly ready to send after several extensions and help from a friend.

Also...my nephew in Switzerland is getting married next month, we are very close and he wants me to attend with my mother . The trip will only be 4 days. I am in the middle of both ESA and PIP assessment. Should I let them know about this or is it ok to go as my mother is supporting me for this short period? ( I have some mobility issues due to ME and will be resting a lot too).
Thanks

More
4 years 7 months ago #236994 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic changes of circumstances - or not?
ostia

The DWP blow hot and cold on this and require notification when it suits them and not when it doesn't.

I can't say that you do not need to notify them but I would not expect it to be an issue if your holidays are only a couple of weeks and certainly a trip of four days should not.

Gordon

The following user(s) said Thank You: ostia

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.