× Members

Appointee

More
5 years 6 months ago #222026 by fastmoggy
Appointee was created by fastmoggy
AS my partner gets anxious and stressful talking to the DWP over the phone she would like me to be her Appointee, I'm guessing this is the same as being a Representative so I am up to speed on that side of things.
As an appointee can I stipitate that the DWP can only talk to my 'client' when i the (appointee) is also present?.
This isn't to be awkward, which is not a good idea when dealing with them,! but to ensure that my partner isn't confused by the questioning which may be misleading.
The call she is fearing is the call which she had last time from either the desision maker to ask if there is any more evidence before the final decision which she could barley remember when i got home only a hour later or just a represenative for the decision maker.
An legal advice on this matter as the MR is a new concept for us would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #222031 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Appointee
fastmoggy

Appointeeships are made when the claimant is not competent to manage their affairs, this does not sound to be the case for your partner, see

www.gov.uk/become-appointee-for-someone-claiming-benefits

Can I also pick up your presenting yourself as her Representative (capital "R" as it is a title). Representatives are formally trained Welfare Rights advisors, there will be expectations placed on a Representatives n terms of their knowledge of the law, relevant Case Law and the claimant's case that will not be expected of a layperson. It is perfectly OK for you to represent (small "r") your partner but you could do serious harm to there claim if you misrepresent your abilities.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: fastmoggy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.