× Members

Occupational Therapist Assessment

More
5 years 3 months ago #223963 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Occupational Therapist Assessment

Catfishman wrote: Gordan, can I open this question to Benefits @ Work, have you heard of PALS, please see below. Thank you.

I'm not sure what is supposed to be below? :(

PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service)

www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/nhs-s...and-liaison-service/

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: weasley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #223980 by Maggie
Replied by Maggie on topic Occupational Therapist Assessment
Sorry Catfishman I've only just seen your posts-you sound a bit desperate.

There should be a PALS dept at your hospital to help you raise concerns about treatment. However there should be a professional independent Mental Health Advocate (outside the hospital) to help you make a formal complaint about NHS services. My area comes under People First. Search Mental Health Advocate NHS complaints for your area.However the standard is variable due to legal aid cuts.

The O.T DOES NOT have the medical competence to DIAGNOSE your illness.
I would take your GP's advice to seek a second opinion-that is your right. Personally I would ask your GP to refer you to your psychiatrist directly because you have been so distressed & confused about your "diagnosis" being changed from bipolar to malingering. For the O.T to write this in your notes shows both incompetence & professional misconduct. He/she is failing to follow NICE guidelines.

In my area you can self refer for 6 weeks CBT through First Steps at the GP surgery but I don't think this would help you much as its for mild-moderate problems. Personally I'd go to MIND / Rethink for CBT or proper counselling.
A new letter & hospital notes from the psychiatrist above would give you some medical evidence for PIP & your GP sounds supportive & might be able to comment on the descriptors, theres a template in the B&W guides.

There is clear evidence that anxiety, stress & the persecution from DWP is severely damaging disabled people's health & basic needs & the psychiatrist will know this. However I would keep quiet about needing letters & evidence for PIP at this stage.

Do hope this helps: sorry I've been struggling myself recently.
Best wishes Terrified

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.