× Members

Housing inheritance query: advice needed

More
5 years 4 months ago #222741 by Eleanor
Replied by Eleanor on topic Housing inheritance query: advice needed
Hello there. I have been having to look at inheritance issues recently (long complicated story and slightly different). I can tell you a few things though and I think you should stay in the house.

Firstly if the house is now owned by a number of people via inheritance, including you - one person cannot sell unless all the others agree. While it isn't nice having a disagreement with a family member, it is also not nice to be homeless and lose your benefits - not to mention the stress and upheaval.

If the one person wishes to sell and you don't agree then that person would have to go to court to ask for an order for the house to be sold. The court would look at the circumstances - it is your main and only home and you are disabled. I think it unlikely they would order the house to be sold.

I think you need some legal advice. A lot of solicitors do a free half hour (it can go over the half hour but if you explain you are on benefits most wouldn't charge if it goes on for longer). There may be a way for you to make a deed or will, willing your share of the house to the remainder of the siblings if and when you go, in lieu of having the right to remain in the house for your lifetime or something.

Does your Mum's will have anything else in, other than leaving it to all her children? At the end of the day you should be able to stay there. A roof over your head is way better than money in the bank that affects your benefits.
The following user(s) said Thank You: QWERTY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #222742 by petrocelli
Replied by petrocelli on topic Housing inheritance query: advice needed
Hi Qwerty

Wondering if in your situation you mind find Shelterline helpful 0808 800 4444. They'll be able to tell you if there's a Shelter office in your area.......................things might have change, however, a few years ago they shadowed me when I was in similar circumstances. They might also be able to clarify some of your questions for you. I appreciate that things change, but might be worth a go.

Good luck
P:woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: QWERTY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.