× Members

Natural migration to UC from ESA/ Housing Benefit

More
5 years 4 months ago #222713 by micksville
I have a query regarding possible change of circumstances and how it might affect me and would appreciate any advice.
I claim ESA (IR) and am on PIP enhanced mob and standard rate care.
My daughter who is over 18 might be moving back in with me in the new year and I will have to inform both ESA to stop my severe disability premium and local council as I pay bedroom tax on one extra room. Obviously I will no longer have to pay Bedroom Tax and non dependent deductions aren't an issue due to my being on standard rate PIP care.
I am pretty sure as my ESA claim would not be ending or changing to a different benefit that won't prompt a need to claim U/C.
However, the Housing Benefit I receive will rise by approx 13 pounds so I would be entitled to full H/Ben as it were.
Again, there would be no need for a new claim to Housing Ben merely an adjustment to the amount paid.
I notice the government advice and that posted on entitled to and most welfare websites says the general rule of thumb is that....... "In general, natural migration could be triggered if entitlement to your current benefit ends (prompting a need to claim a new one) or you become entitled to a different or extra benefit. It shouldn't happen when you make changes to benefits you are already claiming."
The phrase I am uncertain about here is " extra benefit" Could that mean an extra benefit on top of a benefit you are already receiving or does it mean extra amount as in the 13 pounds extra taking my Housing Ben to full entitlement because I would not need to pay the bedroom tax any longer ? Also, the lady at my local authority suggested that an extra adult moving into my house, ( my daughter is 19) might trigger a need to claim U/C although she said she wasn't sure. In Fact she didn't seem to know what she was talking about . I would be grateful of any clarity on this as the government lists scenarios, though not exhaustive, of when a change might trigger a need to claim U/C. The scenarios I mention weren't on there.
Any advice would be much appreciate as I was hoping to be one of those listed for managed migration sometime in the future as opposed to so called natural migration.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #222728 by Gordon
micksville

The changes you mention are all updates to your existing benefits none of them requires you to make a new claim for any benefit under the UC umbrella and I see no reason why you would be required to claim UC.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: micksville

More
5 years 4 months ago #222729 by micksville
Replied by micksville on topic Natural migration to UC from ESA/ Housing Benefit
Thanks for that Gordon I just worried that removing the bedroom tax I have had to pay might mean a fresh housing benefit claim, as it involves my claiming the full amount again, ( the extra 13 or so pounds) and thus a rise in housing benefit they will have to pay me. From what you say, obviously not Thanks again....

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.