× Members

going out PIP

More
5 years 5 months ago #223507 by benefits61
going out PIP was created by benefits61
I had thought myself as a woman of average intelligence but the PIP form has me beaten, especially the going out section. I just feel its been written by someone who isn’t ill. Why would I want to plan a Journey to somewhere I don’t know? If you have limited mobility then your circle of places to go gets smaller because of pain,If you have mental health problems you wouldn’t dream of going somewhere you didn’t know alone. If it was a hospital say out of your area you would get a taxi or friend to take you. Just don’t know how to answer the question cos it wouldn’t arise ever. By planning a journey do the mean google maps, sorry I must be so thick please don’t shout at me when you reply I’m already stressed.

thankyou Annken

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #223523 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic going out PIP
Annken

You need to separate your mobility from the questions, this is not about your physical ability to get to a place.

The Going Out activity looks at three things.

Planning a route - this is primarily a cognitive or sensory (e.g. blindness) activity. You are being asked about the problems you would have with working out how to get from one place to another, you do not need to be able to follow the route that you are planning.

Undertaking a Journey - this is to do with mental health issues such as agoraphobia and social anxiety and is concerned with you leaving the house to go somewhere, they will be interested in the things that stop you doing this. You need to show that you would suffer "overwhelming psychological distress" to meet the criteria.

Following a route - This activity about the problems you would have navigating a route. So are there problems; cognitive, sensory or mental health issues that would prevent you from doing this? This is different from undertaking a journey, in fact, if you cannot undertake a journey then you will not score points for following one and vice versa.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 5 months ago #223554 by benefits61
Replied by benefits61 on topic going out PIP
its so confusing I do go out but never alone. thank you I have an unrequested home visit tuesday 2years into a four year award and I'm so stressed and fed up feel like what more do I have to do, sorry can you define cognitive not sure what it means.
thank you Ann

More
5 years 5 months ago #223572 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic going out PIP
annken

Cognition is your ability to understand and process information, so in the context of the Going Out activity it is your ability to understand how you need to get to the destination of a route, recognising where you are on the route and where you need to go to next and being able to deal with any issues that you might encounter while following the route, for example; finding a safe place to cross a road or dealing with a diversion.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: benefits61

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.