× Members

ESA/PIP AND MEDICATION

More
5 years 3 months ago #223739 by jbirdsall
ESA/PIP AND MEDICATION was created by jbirdsall
Hi there,
my adult son suffers with mental health and was re-diagnosed with adhd 2yrs ago - he has since tired occupational therapy for adha which was useless, they have since reffered him back to phychotherapy (hes had this before). He refuses to take medication as he has had previously addiction problems and doesn't want to be like that again. the occupational health lady wrote a letter to his gp to says they do support his decision and if he changes his mind to re refer him. My question is, where do we stand with not taking medication? I think I read that they can stop your esa if you don't take meds prescribed but he was never prescribed them, they offered to, but he declined and under nice guidelines has the right to do so. any help would be massively appreciated as ESA form came 2weeks before xmas and the new awful PIP review form came xmas eve.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #223761 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA/PIP AND MEDICATION
Jo

The DWP cannot require a claimant to take medication or treatment for their conditions, in principle, they can assume it if they believe that the claimant's reasons for not doing so are unreasonable but I have never heard of a case of them doing this, not that I think they would in your son's case as he has a good reason for not taking the medication.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: jbirdsall

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.