× Members

Is it worth appealing the length of pip award?

More
5 years 3 months ago #224084 by debslosjoe
I've only been awarded 3 years again. Enhanced for both. They didn't give me enough points for many areas but I don't want the stress of appealing.

I'm medically retired from the NHS and all my conditions are incurable and deteriorating. My GP has confirmed this in several letters is it worth asking for a paper based appeal just to look at the award length? Or would this jeopardise my case?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs Dottie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224117 by Gordon
Debbie

Many congratulations on the award, well done.

You can't appeal without first requesting a Mandatory Reconsideration with the DWP which will open up your whole award to review.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #224305 by PC Pilot
Replied by PC Pilot on topic Is it worth appealing the length of pip award?
Hi Debbie,

I am pleased to read of your review success and appreciate your concerns regarding the length of your award pending review again within three years (2021/2022) as I too faced the same dilemma back in September when like you despite enhanced daily living/mobility and with deteriorating health conditions the assessor determined a review in three years was appropriate.....quite breath taking!:S

As the whole experience has resulted in a marked deterioration of my Muscular Dystrophy like you the additional stress of appealing this one area would have been too much....and yet I dread the prospect of having to face the whole thing all over again. :(

As you have gained sufficient points to be awarded Enhanced/Enhanced (well done again btw) and given that your GP supports that your conditions are "incurable and deteriorating" I may be able to offer you a glimmer of hope, :)

You might find the contents of my recent post (www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum1-2?view=...c&catid=10&id=123920 ) to be of some interest (should your situation fulfil the stated criteria of course)..

….during the festive break I came across the following Written Statement to Parliament from Sarah Newton (Minister of State for Disabled People, Health & Work) quietly released on the 'last day of term' as they say!

This new information (released on 20th December 2018) ( www.parliament.uk/business/publications/.../2018-12-20/HCWS1224) will I trust offer at least a small glimmer of hope that common sense has finally prevailed for those of us in receipt of both enhanced rates with a recognised and diagnosed degenerative condition AND subject to a DWP review in the mid/near term that they DO indicate that they intend to implement a retrospective application?

Personal Independence Payment: House of Commons - Written Statement - HCWS1224

I would like to update the House on the improvements my Department is making in Personal Independence Payment (PIP). The guidance available to PIP Case Managers was updated in August 2018 to ensure those who are awarded the highest level of support whose needs are unlikely to improve or will deteriorate receive an ongoing award with a light touch review at the 10 year point. Following on from the introduction of that guidance in August, we have now commenced activity to review the claims of existing claimants on the top level of support to identify those individuals who, in light of the new guidance, should be receiving an ongoing award. This is still in the early stages and being dealt with in date order, prioritising claimants whose awards are coming up for an award review, but commencing this activity is a really important step to reducing the number of individuals having to undergo an unnecessary award review where their needs are only likely to deteriorate.

A copy of the guidance for Case Managers has been placed in the House of Commons Library and is available at: data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files...uidance_10.10.18.pdf

The light touch review process and guidance itself has not yet been developed, but we aim to do so well in advance of the first such reviews taking place. We intend to consult with stakeholders as part of that process.

I hope this heralds better news for some of us in the months to come!

I also hope that you are able to satisfy the criteria and in time (before your 3 year review point) find that you have been transferred to the 10 year light touch review as indicated.

Perhaps worth querying with the DWP in any case?

Pleased for your good news anyway, and best wishes for better news!

Neil
The following user(s) said Thank You: benefits61

More
5 years 2 months ago #224877 by debslosjoe
Replied by debslosjoe on topic Is it worth appealing the length of pip award?
Thank you so much for your very informative reply.

I will hope and pray that they make these changes before my next review. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Debs
The following user(s) said Thank You: PC Pilot

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.