× Members

I Need help

More
5 years 4 months ago #224371 by Valerie
I Need help was created by Valerie
Call me stupid but I have been going to counselling and trying to get back into employment. I applied for a job after 13 years not working as I was getting support with my counselling and confidence. I decided to apply for a job, went for an interview and got the job. One I was still employable. Well, I got a job and then went into panic mode. Went to speak to my GP, On your doorstep, my counsellors and my pain management doctor. To see if I should try it out how it would affect my benefit. I was manic. I wrote a letter to ESA and my daughter posted it. I held off starting the job and still no reply so I started the job.
My dilemma is they have stopped my money because I worked and said I owed them money. I no longer work at the job was only there a month but that is another story but to make a long story short my benefit has been cut and I already wrote another letter saying that I sent one to let them know I was starting a job although I did not let them know when it ended. I now have to write a letter to appeal. I need help my mindset is now manic and I am certainly overwhelmed

can anyone advise me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #224379 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic I Need help
V

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

Did you send the letter to the DWP using a Tracked post, so that you had proof of delivery?

You are not entitled to ESA if worked for 16 or more hours a week so if this was the case then there has been an overpayment, however, if you can show that you contacted the DWP to close your claim in good time then it should not be recoverable.

If it has been less than 12 weeks since you started the job then you may be able to re-claim ESA under the Linking rules, contact the DWP office that was dealing with your claim.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Gordon.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224715 by Valerie
Replied by Valerie on topic I Need help
Thanks, Gordon I believe my daughter sent with a certificate of posting but she can't find the receipt. I sent another letter explaining the situation but they sent me saying I am not entitled to it and it was only 16 hours but I think the pay was over the allowed amount. So I have to pay back which is understandable but no money coming in is scary and stressful as I don't know how to proceed.

More
5 years 3 months ago #224726 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic I Need help
V

Unless you can show that you notified them before you started the employment then I can't see any way for you to avoid the overpayment.

You can make a claim for Universal Credit, you will need a Fit Note to avoid being required to search for work and you must ask to be put forward for a Work Capability Assessment (WCA) to avoid having to do this in the long term.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris