× Members

ESA reassessment and WCA appointment

More
5 years 2 months ago #224699 by student2007
ESA reassessment and WCA appointment was created by student2007
Hello,

I got a text message this morning stating I have a WCA for next week. However, I didn’t receive anything in the post notifying me of an appointment in the first place, just this reminder text. I just managed to get through to the DWP and they confirmed I do have the appointment, but they rearranged it for a couple weeks time because I would need accompanying by a family member and they agreed to my assessment being recorded.

I know that it would never be a good time to receive the appointment usually, but over the Xmas period I tried to take my life, so I’m really really struggling to cope right now. Since I’ve seen the message I’ve just sat here and cried, I already feel overwhelmed and I’m worried I won’t put the best case forward on the day because I’m struggling to focus on anything at the moment. So I’m asking for some help, please, I don’t know what to do or where to begin. I have had a WCA before, but it was several years ago.

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #224704 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA reassessment and WCA appointment
student

Dealing with the assessment, our ESA Claim guides cover the assessment and the questions you are likely to be asked;

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Have you spoken to anybody about what happened at Christmas, if you haven't then I urge you to talk to your GP or somebody else involved in your care. It' natural for you to be concerned about the assessment but you don't have to deal with these issues on your own.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: student2007

More
5 years 2 months ago #224711 by yeovil2003
Replied by yeovil2003 on topic ESA reassessment and WCA appointment
I had the same a text message saying don't forget your wca assessment I hadn't had a letter so was confused but the letter did come after confirming appointment. they do seem to be sending you appointments for the next week wheras in the past it used to be a few weeks notice. I think as soon as a letter is generated a text message is automatically sent

More
5 years 2 months ago #224720 by student2007
Replied by student2007 on topic ESA reassessment and WCA appointment
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the link. I will try my best to read through in the coming days.

I told my GP about my suicide attempt, he would like me to be more open with the other professionals involved my care, so I have more support. Thank you for asking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gordon

More
5 years 2 months ago #225156 by student2007
Replied by student2007 on topic ESA reassessment and WCA appointment
Hi,

I have a couple of questions, please, so sorry for rambling in advance.

I was reading the guide regarding what to expect at the WCA. But, I was wondering does the assessor carry out a physical examination, please, because I didn’t see it mentioned in the guide for mental or physical health? The last time I went for a WCA was several years ago now and at that time I was only suffering from a mental health problem, but since then I’ve gone on to develop a physical health problem too. Is it likely I’ll have an examination and if so what should I expect? My physical health condition is that I struggle to walk and feel pain in my feet due to a nerve condition.

Secondly, when the appointment came through it was at an assessment centre further away from my home, which I’ve never been too before. At the time I was told that they no longer do assessments at the one closest to me. But when I contacted them today because I needed to make sure it was ground floor, I was told that the one closest to me is really backlogged and their audio equipment is broken. So, I was worried that the room I may end up in is far away from the reception area and that especially with travelling further to get there, that I would struggle to walk more. So I was told to ring the assessment centre directly and that they will leave a note to accommodate this, but the person who picked up the phone said there was nothing they could do and I would just have to go to whatever room I was called to and to be honest, she was very short and rude with me. Is there a way to handle this differently?

Regards

More
5 years 2 months ago #225183 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA reassessment and WCA appointment
Student

There is usually a basic physical exam, the range of movement in your legs and arms and a grip test for both hands.

You can try writing to them asking for a Reasonable Adjustment under the Equality Act 2010.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: student2007

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.