× Members

ESA reassessment and WCA appointment

More
5 years 2 months ago #225216 by student2007
Replied by student2007 on topic ESA reassessment and WCA appointment
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the response and info.

In terms of the physical examination, am I allowed my family member, who'll be accompanying me to come into the area with the bed (assuming that's where it would be)?

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #225236 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA reassessment and WCA appointment
Student

I don't see why it would be a problem, you can refuse any activity that would cause you unreasonable physical or mental distress.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: student2007

More
5 years 2 months ago #226010 by student2007
Hello,

I was supposed to have my WCA tomorrow, but I got a call late this afternoon to say that they haven’t received my file in time, so they have had to cancel. I’ve been so anxious about the assessment, but I just cried when I heard the message because it took so much energy and time to prepare for it, and I can’t deal with the thought of knowing that it’s still hanging over me. I had even asked a family member if they could get the day off work to come with me.

I don’t know what to do now. I tried to look on the forum and I saw a post that said I should put something in writing to the DWP encase they think I was the person who missed the appointment. Can I ask please, what do I put in the letter, just that the appointment was cancelled and why? Also, do I send it as normal or as a complaint, and if I do will that adversely affect their decision? Do you have the address for me to send it too, please?

Also, I filled in the ESA50 around spring time 2018 and included my medical evidence at the time, but when I got the assessment appointment through I gathered new additional medical evidence. For example, I tried a new treatment after I sent back the forms, but didn’t respond to treatment and they sent a clinic letter to my consultant telling them that. My GP also updated his medical evidence to reflect my suicide attempt at Xmas etc, as he was the medical professional I first sought medical attention from. I was going to take this on the day with me, but now the appointment has been cancelled, can I send this to the DWP as additional evidence? Or should I just hold on to it till the next appointment?

Sorry for dropping so many questions on you, I just feel so overwhelmed.

Regards

More
5 years 2 months ago - 5 years 2 months ago #226014 by Gordon
student

At the time that we wrote ou advice about writing to the DWP we had had several members report that the appointments cancelled by the Assessment Provider were actually being reported as their cancelling, we haven't seen this happen recently but if you want to report what has happened then just write a short letter explaining what happened today and send it to the DWP office dealing with your claim.

You can also make a complaint to Maximus, I would make them aware of the preparations that you have had to go through to be able to attend and that a family member had taken time off of work to be able to attend with you.

Complaining to Maximus

If there have been changes to your conditions or other relevant events since you completed your ESA50 then I would write a short letter explaining them and give this to the assessor on the day, asking them to read it and include it in your file when they return it to the DWP. Send a copy to the DWP office dealing with your claim with a covering letter explaining what it is.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
Last edit: 5 years 2 months ago by Gordon.

More
5 years 1 month ago #227765 by student2007
Hi,

Could I get some advice, please? I was sent an appointment for a WCA assessment back in January, it was only a weeks’ notice and I needed my sister to go with me, which is something I did specify on the ESA50, so I rearranged it for February. My sister took the time off work, we both prepared for the appointment and then less than 24 hours before they cancelled it, which I wrote in a previous post. I sent in a complaint to Maximus and they said they would investigate.

Recently, I received a new appointment for 1st April. But I couldn’t do that day, so I rang to rearrange. They said I had to have the WCA by this date or the file would go back, and then the DWP would write to me for a reason why I couldn’t attend. So, I asked if they had any appointments at the assessment centre closest to me (the appointment for 1st April was at an assessment centre further away and they didn't have anymore appointments before that date). So, my rescheduled appointment was going to be for the last week of March. Again my sister took the time off work as she had been saving the last of her holidays for this appointment. But today I received a letter to say it had been cancelled again. When I called no one could say for sure why it had been cancelled, just that maybe a doctor wasn’t available that day or they were short staffed or something to do with the audio equipment etc. Nor could they tell me when I was likely to receive the next appointment. I’ve been quite upset since and it has impacted on my mental health.

Towards the end of the conversation, I asked when the appointment comes through and if the day isn’t suitable if I could change it. They said I wouldn’t be able to because I’ve rescheduled before, which is frustrating because had they not cancelled I would have had the WCA already and wouldn’t need to reschedule again. I guess my worry is that I need my sister to accompany me and she needs notice to give to her work and things are uncertain at her work, which could make taking the time off from April onwards more difficult. I feel so stressed and worried. I know the replacement appointment hasn’t come through yet, but if it isn’t suitable, what do I do?

Regards

More
5 years 1 month ago #227767 by Gordon
student

I'm afraid the DWP have told Maximus to only allow the claimant to rearrange their appointment once, so you used that up when you rearranged the one for 1 April.

Given the number of times it's been cancelled I would get your MP involved

Contacting your MP

Make sure you explain what's happened and that you need your sister with you for any new appointment.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.