× Members

PIP downgraded from enhanced to standard

More
5 years 4 months ago #224874 by Jane
I had an award ot PIP at the enhanced rate, which I have held since 2011. My award was until October 2019, but in August I got a letter saying it was time for my review. I completed the forms and put all of my conditions. I have a severe heart problem and very severe arthritis in both knees which means that I cannot stand for more than about thirty seconds and cannot hardly walk at all without help, and even then I have to keep stopping as I get very out of breath and am in terrible pain. I was called for assessment and at the meeting I got very upset as I was with my daughter and talking about things like incontinence and not being able to do very much in front of my daughter was very embarrassing, plus I am so worried about my heart and the possibility that I will die soon. The assessor was very nice, but her report bore no resemblance to what happened in my assessment. She said in the report that I was pleasant and not in any way distressed, but that is blatantly untrue and when it was time for her to look at my mobility she said for me not to stand up as she could see I had difficulty, so she just asked me to lift my arms. Her report said that I have normal mobility in my hips (I do NOT) and no reduced power in my legs (I cannot even step up a kerb) and that, although she didn't see me walking "on the balance of probability" I could walk more than 20 metres. She awarded me 10 points which means that they have taken my enhanced PIP off me and I now have to return my car to motability and without that I cannot go to work, as getting in a taxi is really hard for me. I asked for a mandatory reconsideration eight weeks ago and have just heard today that they have turned me down. I am frantic as I NEED my car - I only work part-time but I need that contact as otherwise I would never go out. I am beyond upset - I cannot afford to buy a car and I just don't know where to turn. What can I do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #224894 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP downgraded from enhanced to standard
Jane

The next stage of the process is for you to appeal but I'm afraid the wait times for a hearing are significant so you need to consider alternatives to you having your own car. You may be eligible for Access to Work

www.gov.uk/access-to-work

The PIP Appeal guide has links to the SSCS1 form that you will need to complete and the Submissions guide has a complete example that you can use to help you fill it in, you do not need to provide detailed reasons at this stage for your request.

Once your appeal is accepted the DWP will prepare their submission to the hearing and send you a copy, whilst you should wait until you receive this to finish and submit your own, you should start to prepare your own case, an increased award will only be made by your showing that you score the extra points for one, so I would start by going back through your PIP2, the assessment report and the PIP Claim guide to see how you might show this is the case.

If you have further questions then please reply to this post and we will do our best to help.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.