× Members

ESA 3rd medical assessment appointment

More
5 years 3 months ago #225070 by Billis
Hello, I wonder if anyone can advise please? (Please note, this post is written in my words by my close friend and supporter who helps me deal with communications as I find it difficult to talk/type about my condition without becoming upset.) I have long term mental health issue caused by a childhood trauma. After 44years of full time work, mainly self employed. My anxiety levels increased significantly and I had to see my GP who confirmed I had severe anxiety, I was referred to local Mental health services and was seen by a psychology & psychotherapy counsellor who explained very well how the original trauma I suffered as a 4year old child had been largely ignored by my parents and as a result I had unknowingly developed coping and avoidance strategies in order to minimise the anxiety I was experiencing since. ( I am 63 now) in 2015 I put in a claim for ESA and had a medical assessment at home having supplied a letter from my GP. My claim was refused, as was the review and MR. I was forced to attend a tribunal which was traumatic and gave me many sleepless nights. Within minutes of the hearing the Judge told me I had won my appeal. The biggest relief was that my condition and its affects were at last been believed. The judge stated: " The wording of the descriptors in relation to getting about were too specific to apply to the unusual nature of my condition". Regulation 29 was engaged. After another battle lasting months, I was finally placed in the support group but only after another home medical assessment. (by the same doctor as the previous assessment) I received a review form at the end of 2018. I explained there had been no change in my situation and supplied evidence from Mental Health services who had informed me that the NHS counsellors available were too specific to be able to help with my complex issues, they would contact me if a suitable was found. I was then sent an appointment to attend at their medical assessment centre on 30th January 2019 . I asked for a home visit as I had before, but was told I had to prove I couldn't attend by supplying a letter from my doctor. I duly obliged and sent the letter by post with a covering letter explaining the earlier phone conversation, the name of the agent and the request for me to send a letter from my GP. I noted that it had been delivered and signed for on 24th Jan 2019. However, I received a text yesterday. 28th Jan 2019. "Remember to attend your work capability assessment on Wed 30th Jan at the centre. Failure to attend may affect your benefit." Their treatment of someone with Mental health issues is frankly appalling and has made me feel terrible, sleepless nights, fearful and anxious. Has anyone had this kind of experience and can tell me what I should do? Clearly, I cannot attend the appointment, they have had proof of this from my GP. If my benefit is sanctioned how should I respond? Thank you in anticipation

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225094 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA 3rd medical assessment appointment
M

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

In case you are not aware, your real name appears to be showing in the forum, if you want to change this then follow the instructions in the following FAQ

My full name is showing, how can I stop it?

The text was probably automatic but you or your friend do need to contact the Assessment Provider for an update on whether a home assessment has been granted or not, I'm afraid you cannot assume that just because a letter has been sent in that one will be granted, it's even possible that the letter has not actually been looked at yet.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #225107 by Billis
Replied by Billis on topic ESA 3rd medical assessment appointment
Thank you Gordon, we will ring them and check.

More
5 years 3 months ago #225451 by Billis
Replied by Billis on topic ESA 3rd medical assessment appointment
My friend contacted the appointments number, he felt that the person on the other end of the phone was very short with him and felt that he was not really listening to what my friend was saying. Eventually my friend was told that they had received the doctors letter on the 25th Jan but there had been no decision made as yet. He said he would cancel the 30th Jan's appointment at the centre but would re book another for the centre at a future date, then wait and see what the decision is. However I received a letter this morning 02/02/2019 dated 01/02/2019 saying I had been approved a home visit and that I don't need to attend the appointment as it's been cancelled. (obviously this is 2 days after the appointment date) What I wanted to ask is the letter finishes with: I hope this will not cause any further concern. And gives a local number to ring rather than the 0800 appointment one, should I have any queries. Signed off by: Jennifer QCSS team. Any idea what the initials stand for?

More
5 years 3 months ago #225498 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA 3rd medical assessment appointment
MR H

Sorry, anything would just be a guess, I've done a search with no results.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 3 months ago #225628 by Cat in a hat
Replied by Cat in a hat on topic ESA 3rd medical assessment appointment
Quality control support service? QCSS perhaps? Just a guess

Think like a proton, always positive.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris