× Members

A few ESA questions...

More
5 years 2 months ago #225419 by CLINTIAN
A few ESA questions... was created by CLINTIAN
Hello Gordon and colleagues,
My husband has O.C.D. anxiety and depression.
As we are going through my husband’s ESA50 05/18 form to be sent to Centre for health and Disability Assessments on behalf of the DWP.
I have a few ESA Questions;-
1. I presume that [unless they look at past info] they will contact my husband’s GP after the form is returned and would you advise we contact his GP for an appointment when we send the form back to update the GP and warn them of possible information required from the GP or see his GP now before form is returned?
2. As the form has punch holes in it I am thinking of putting punch holes in the separate sheets of paper and tying everything together, is there a better way or suggest how to keep everything neat and together?
3. The form mentions if symptoms, illnesses, conditions Etc. vary day to day send them a diary, now would the PIP diary to download be good enough for the ESA or should I somehow record things on a daily basis for a week?
4. Should I mention straight out throughout the form that my husband posses a substantial risk to himself or others if found not to have a limited capability for work-related activity, and explain why?
Thanks again and all the best.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #225434 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic A few ESA questions...
Bodge

1. I'm afraid you cannot assume that they will contact the GP, our recommendation is for you to collect the evidence yourself, if at all possible.

2. Yes, that will be fine just make sure that each page has his full name and NIN at the top and that they are numbered, we recommend "page X of Y" so that it is easy to see if pages are missing. Make sure you clearly mark on the form where your answers are and on the relevant page that you are answering question X.

3. A diary is a good idea, it needs to be in relation to the ESA activities and the limitations he has with completing them but you can include issues that also testify to his problems, as an example; if he has rituals for washing then I would document them.

4. But make sure that you understand the criteria for this, there is a list of activities that come under the heading of Work Related Activity in the Claim guides.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: CLINTIAN

More
5 years 2 months ago #225613 by CLINTIAN
Replied by CLINTIAN on topic A few ESA questions...
As we are going through my husband’s ESA50 05/18 form to be sent to Centre for health and Disability Assessments on behalf of the DWP.
1. we don’t seem to be getting a response from his GP or cbt therapist as regards a support letter, would seeing a private doctor [Nuffield] be of any use [can you recommend one]?, I have written a few things down that correspond to the support group which he is in and including a copy of ESA85 stating in support group as cant reliably initiate at least 2 sequential personal actions.
2. he is totally distressed at prospect of face to face [last pip person lied and we appealed through mandatory process and won so confirming lied to at assessment], if we see a private doctor would they be able to write a support letter to say a face to face is out of the question as well as confirming support group descriptors ?
We do have evidence fro his dentist that says:-

“After looking into his obsessive compulsive disorder in more detail we cannot eliminate the possibility of a connection between this disorder and the patient feeling stressed and anxious leading to the parafunctional habits causing temporomandibular dysfunction and attrition.
The following treatment plan has been discussed with Mr ****and the patient, which is to “We have advised the patient to limit stressful causative factors”

Thanks again and all the best.

More
5 years 2 months ago #225640 by Gordon
Bodge

A private report should not be treated any differently from an NHS one as long as you can afford it. I'm afraid I can't recommend a suitable Consultant.

A Paper-Based Review will only be done if the assessor is satisfied that they have sufficient information to make a recommendation to the DWP, would his GP be willing to provide more information if they were contacted by Maximus? A private doctor may also be able to do this but there may be questions on how well they know your husband's problems if they have only seen him a couple of times.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 months ago #225996 by CLINTIAN
Replied by CLINTIAN on topic A few ESA questions...

Gordon wrote: Bodge

A private report should not be treated any differently from an NHS one as long as you can afford it. I'm afraid I can't recommend a suitable Consultant.

A Paper-Based Review will only be done if the assessor is satisfied that they have sufficient information to make a recommendation to the DWP, would his GP be willing to provide more information if they were contacted by Maximus? A private doctor may also be able to do this but there may be questions on how well they know your husband's problems if they have only seen him a couple of times.

Gordon

1. My husband has only started seeing his new CBT therapist just before the New Year so only a couple of times and one more session before the form has to be sent back, she says she isn’t a doctor etc. so won’t give details to back up his illnesses , his last CBT therapist was the opposite when he finished just over a year ago and wrote a very nice letter for evidence if needed that we will be sending .
2. His doctor is new also and will see them this week so hopefully might get some ware, what do you recommend I ask for from them? I did provide a great number of evidence etc. to show how his illnesses affect him but again with past experience the policy the surgery has is to not give out any support letters.
Any advice would be welcome and apologies for the number of questions, Thanks again and all the best.

More
5 years 2 months ago #226005 by Gordon
Bodge

1. There's not much that you can, none of his medical contacts are required to provide him with support.

2. Bearing in mind the above, tread carefully and see what they are willing to provide rather than asking for something specific. If you want to add some structure then there is a GP Notes document in the PIP area, maybe they could complete it or use it as a structure for any letter that they might write.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.