× Members

ESA - Support Group to WRAG Aug2018

More
5 years 1 month ago #226280 by borderterrier
ESA - Support Group to WRAG Aug2018 was created by borderterrier
HI Guys
Sorry I don't if I'm writing this post in the correct place?

Briefly, been on ESA support group since March 2017 because of mental ill health, specifically panic disorder, agoraphobia, depression. Suicide attempt and ideation, alcohol misuse.
Reassessed July 2018. Moved to the 'should be looking for work group'. Called DWP to say would be submitting a reconsideration within the one month time frame but I have not done so due to not being compis mentis enough to do it.

I presented well at the assessment because although I had asked for a home visit or visit nearer to my home, the assessors refused that request. My GP sent a letter to them that they visit me at home. The assessors still declined. So as they had declined and said had to visit an assessment centre 25 miles away my GP prescribed 5x2.5mg Diazepam tablets so I could get there.

I told the assessor as soon as we started the assessment that had taken diazepam prescribed specifically for the assessment, but in the notes that has not been recorded. I did do a sneaky recording on my phone and I can be heard saying that. Also described using diazepam purchased from net in order to get out which was also not noted on their report.

Anyway since then I had one work interview in Septermer 2018 which my husband took me to, 11 miles from home. I was in bits, crying etc. And have heard nothing from DWP since in terms of this preparing for work idea.

In addition I've another alcochol detox, a couple of suicide attempts and self harm admissions to hospital. At the time of the assessment I was a little better - I had had a home detox in Nov2017 which was successful and was dry for several month, at the time of assessment I was undergoing CBT with a psychologist which I admitted may have been helping. Well, it didn't.

After all that rather lengthy (but far from full description), my question is -

do I go ahead with the reconsideration and say well I couldn't submit it because of my subsequent health issues, or do I go for a change in circumstances?
I have asked CAB and they are also unsure.
If anyone can shed any light at all on this I'd be very grateful

With sincere thanks
BTxx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #226283 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA - Support Group to WRAG Aug2018
Rebecca

Welcome to the forum, you might want to have a look at the following FAQ which explains where everything is

Welcome to Benefits and Work

Do you know how you qualified for the Support Group originally?

A successful MR may be dependent on the evidence that you had available in July last year, what did you have?

Reporting a Change will also require evidence but you do have the opportunity to source it but it will be a full review of your claim, new ESA50 and almost certainly another assessment.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 1 month ago #226289 by borderterrier
Replied by borderterrier on topic ESA - Support Group to WRAG Aug2018
Hi Gordon
I didn't request the original paperwork from the assessors which placed me in the Support Group as of March 2017. Could I still do that now?

Thanks

More
5 years 1 month ago #226291 by Gordon
BT

You can try contacting the DWP office dealing with your claim, if it is still in local storage they should be able to provide a copy, if it has been moved to offsite storage then you may need to do a Subject Access Request.

SAR :

www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/request-for-personal-information.rtf

From this page :

www.dwp.gov.uk/privacy-policy/data-protection/

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: borderterrier

More
5 years 1 month ago #226292 by borderterrier
Replied by borderterrier on topic ESA - Support Group to WRAG Aug2018
Also apologies Gordon - just to add, my GP and community mental health team have said they are happy to answer any specific questions from the DWP/assessors if they request it from them (I don't know which company it is) but they can't write out supporting letters without knowing specifically what the assessors want to know as they will just fail the reconsideration and I'd be back at square one, with the team having to redo work and they don't have the time.

GP prescribed the diazepam as they said no point trying to fight the home visit as would not be successful and loads of hassle all round.

Initially general mental health wise not great and was awarded support group for very similar symptoms as I now have, and had at time of assessment in August. The difference was I did not have diazepam when went for first assessment and was kind of hysterical. I didn't want to be like that again and was too afraid to go so asked for the home visit etc. Denied, got the diazepam, taken months to be able to even think about it. Not sure if there's any point tbh.

I will phone DWP to ask for the notes from initial assessment anyway.

Thanks BT

More
5 years 1 month ago #226293 by Gordon
BT

Whether you go down the MR or Change route you will need to meet one or more of the SG Descriptors to be placed back in the group, have a look at our ESA Claim guides for the criteria that you will need to meet.

www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/help-for-claimants/esa1

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.