× Members

ESA50 questions

More
5 years 2 months ago #226473 by angelab
ESA50 questions was created by angelab
I’m about to fill out my ESA50. I last did one in 2015. I have 3 questions:

1 I’ve compared the forms and can’t see much difference. But please can you let me know if there have there been any significant changes in the questions/ criteria since 2015?

2.My main disability is ME/CFS. Pg 30 of your guides states “We don’t yet know how the DWP will treat conditions that may have both physical and mental aspects, such as ME/CFS or multiple sclerosis “ Has there been any further interpretation of this? I always complete all sections of the form anyway, but I have been told in the past, that I will only score points on the physical health questions. Is this still the case?

3. I will be ticking “it varies” for all the boxes and give description of how that activity is affected by my condition. Would it be OK to put all of this extra info on separate pages, rather than in the small boxes? This will make it much easier to cut and paste info from my last form. I know to put name and NI on extra sheets and number them.

many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #226475 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA50 questions
Rosie

1. The ESA Descriptors and Regulations have not changed since 2013 but there have been updates to the DWP guidance, particularly in the area of Substantial Risk.

2. No updates, all you can do is explain your problems on both sections of the form and see what happens. That said, it is not uncommon with conditions such as ME/CFS for the person also to have mental health issues such as Depression.

3. Yes. Remember ESA is looking at how you are for the majority of the time so explain, at the very least, how you are at your worst, your best which may still not be 100% and how you are for the majority of the time. For each explain how long you are affected in that way.

Yes, it is perfectly OK for you to type your answers and attach them as extra pages to the ESA50, just make sure that each page has your full name and NIN at the top and that they are numbered, we recommend "page X of Y" so that it is easy to see if pages are missing. Make sure you clearly mark on the form where your answers are and on the relevant page that you are answering question X.

Attach the pages to the back of the form using a staple or make a hole in the top left corner and use a treasury tag, string or ribbon to the form. The pages need to be easily detached so that they can be scanned by the DWP.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: angelab

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.