× Members

ESA and Carer allowance

More
5 years 2 months ago #226599 by Christopher
ESA and Carer allowance was created by Christopher
Hi

I’ve just been awarded pip, and my wife is looking to claim Carer allowance. I just wondered what impact that will have on my esa? I currently receive £176.05 a week £114.85 living expenses, disability income guarantee £23.55 and extra money because in support group £37.65. So once my wife claims Carer allowance will my esa be reduced? if so by how much a week? And when would I have to inform esa about the fact my wife claiming Carer allowance? Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #226611 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and Carer allowance
Christopher

You need to tell the DWP office dealing with your ESA claim as soon as her claim for Carers Allowance is accepted.

The CA will be treated as income and deducted from your ESA leaving no net effect but you will also receive a Carers Premium, currently £36.85 a week as part of your ESA.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 months ago #226615 by Christopher
Replied by Christopher on topic ESA and Carer allowance
Hi Gordon. Thank you for your reply. Ok so as soon as it’s accepted I will ring dwp to tell them. Can you explain what you mean by saying no net effect? Thank you.

More
5 years 2 months ago #226618 by Gordon

Christopher wrote: Hi Gordon. Thank you for your reply. Ok so as soon as it’s accepted I will ring dwp to tell them. Can you explain what you mean by saying no net effect? Thank you.

So your wife will receive a separate weekly payment for her CA of £64.60 a week and your ESA will be reduced by £64.60 per week.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 2 months ago #226620 by Christopher
Replied by Christopher on topic ESA and Carer allowance
Thank you. So my esa will go down to £111, but I will receive Carer premium (£36.85) added to my esa is that correct? So will change to around £148 a week? Is that right? Thank you.

More
5 years 2 months ago #226622 by Gordon
Christopher

Yes, plus the £64.60 that your wife will receive.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.