× Members

ESA and ESA50 and Retirement

• wilderness45angel
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #226926 by wilderness45angel
ESA and ESA50 and Retirement was created by wilderness45angel
Hello everyone :)
I wanted to ask about my situation as I am very stressed and worried at this time about a couple of things. I claim ESA in Support Group and I have done so now for approx 9 years when I was moved over from Incapacity Benefit. My new ESA50 form dropped through the letterbox 3 days ago and I have not eaten or slept since it arrived. My partner will complete it with help from your wonderful guides, but what I really want to ask, is that I am now only just over 3 years away from retirement to my state pension. If I am assessed as not having capability for work again this time ,will anything be different with the way my ESA50 is assessed as I approach my retirement age? I have not worked for more than 14 years, due to a high amount of both Physical Health and Mental Health long term chronic conditions and disabilities. My fear is for example, if I am assessed again as not being able to work and I remain in the Support Group (praying that I do!) , if the assessment is for 2 or 3 years from now, how will the remaining months from the expiry date of the ESA50 assessment and the start date of my state pension be looked at by DWP? Is there a danger that I might be left with nothing to live on for some months at that time?The ESA50 arrival dates are always about 6 months ahead of my birthday every time. In a perfect world I'd be assessed now to stay in the Support Group until I am retired but the maximum award I have had in the past has never exceeded 36 months. Does anyone have any experience of completing an ESA50 and being close to retirement age? I really would appreciate any help available from anyone who has been in the same situation or knows what happens. I hope I have explained properly. Apologies if not. Best wishes :cheer:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #226943 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA and ESA50 and Retirement
W

Your age will not be considered as part of any future ESA assessment. The ESA criteria is very specific, legally defined and take no account of the claimant's age.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: wilderness45angel

• wilderness45angel
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #226956 by wilderness45angel
Replied by wilderness45angel on topic ESA and ESA50 and Retirement
Thank you for the information Gordon. We will just keep completing any forms that arrive up to when I reach State Pension eligibility, and hope for the best.

Regards

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris