× Members

PIP Advice please

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #227727 by Juliauk10
PIP Advice please was created by Juliauk10
Hi Everyone, my first post on the site so apologies if I should have posted elsewhere. I attended my Pip assessment several weeks ago and have today received a decision letter. I have been awarded the standard rate for both Daily Living & Mobility. Although I am extremely grateful to receive anything, I am a little concerned that the information in the 'Decision' statement and descriptors is not accurate and is not a correct reflection of the information I gave to the assessor. I don't want to bore any readers by listing everything - but for example: Probably the most difficult limitation my health condition poses is that I am unable to 'Wash & Bathe' regularly. I am hugely embarrassed to admit to this and find it difficult to accept but I was very honest with the assessor and explained that I had only managed to shower 3 times in the past 4 months which was mortifying me. In the letter I received today the assessor has awarded me 2 points and 'You need an aid or appliance to wash or bathe'. So my question is - do I just remain grateful and accept what I have been given or should I reply to the letter giving my concerns about the information? Thanks for any possible advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 weeks ago #227737 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Advice please
Jules

Congratulations on what you have been awarded.

You don't mention the points so I don't know how close you were to an Enhanced award but did you expect to score higher?

Taking your example of Washing and Bathing, you don't say why you do not wash more frequently but "Needs to use an aid", "Needs supervision or prompting", "Needs assistance" all score two points. You would have to have physical problems that prevent you from washing parts of your body to score higher.

If you reasonably expected to score the 12 points needed for an Enhanced award then you should consider requesting an MR but I would first request a copy of the assessment report by contacting the DWP office dealing with your claim, so you have a better idea of how the current award was made.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems

More
5 years 1 week ago #227863 by Juliauk10
Replied by Juliauk10 on topic PIP Advice please
Hello Gordon
Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. I scored a total of 8 points for each - Daily Living & Mobility. I am genuinely not sure what score I expected. I suppose I had just hoped that the brief statement included in the award letter and 'Statement of Entitlement' would be a more accurate description of the information which I gave the assessor. Using the Washing & Bathing as an example: My medical conditions cause debilitating fatigue & pain when mobilising so unfortunately I rarely feel able to attempt to shower. On the rare occasions I have showered during previous months, my husband has assisted me. He turned on the shower, helped me in, washed my upper and lower body and my hair. He then helped me get dry and dressed. I explained this routine to the assessor and also that I had only been able to accomplish this three times in the past 4 months. In the DWP letter I have been awarded 2 points out of 8 for Washing & Bathing and it states "You need an aid or appliance to wash or bathe"

It might be that I have not understood the descriptors correctly so I will read more thoroughly and also request a copy of the assessment. Thank you.

More
5 years 1 week ago #227893 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic PIP Advice please
Jules

The thing you need to think about is why you could not wash and bathe with the help of a suitable aid, it's not enough for you to argue that you meet a higher Descriptor you must also explain why you do not mean the lower ones as well.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juliauk10

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.