× Members

Narrowboat

More
5 years 1 month ago #227914 by DavidJ61
Narrowboat was created by DavidJ61
Hi,
After a major battle and tribunal with very helpful advice from yourselves, I managed to get my Enhanced Rate Mobility. I had originally had high rate mobility on DLA, but the PIP assessment deemed I was to receive Nil points. Thanks again.

Now I have another problem. I have sold my house and bought a narrowboat to live on. I won't be doing many locks as that would be a problem for me without help. However, my dilemma is that in order to receive my PIP, I would need a correspondence address, I believe. If I spent all the time in a marina it would cost quite a lot per year, but at least I would have some sort of address I could use.
I am doing this because I love narrowboats and also because of cost of living. I need to retire within the next couple of years as I am having problems with fatigue due to my neuropathy and my job requires me to work shifts which is getting harder by the day.

I would appreciate any advice that you could give with in this respect.

David Johns

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 1 month ago #227921 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic Narrowboat
David

The first thing you need to do is to decide on a fixed address where your mail can be sent to, this isn't just for your benefits you will need one for anybody to contact you at, even friends and family.
Once you have an address, contact each of the DWP departments that you receive benefits from and tell them that you have no fixed address but you wish for any letters that they might send to you to be sent to your chosen address.

You might get some pushback but this is a situation that they should be used to dealing with.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: DavidJ61

More
5 years 1 month ago #227951 by sally-jane
Replied by sally-jane on topic Narrowboat
would a po box do ?

More
5 years 1 month ago #228039 by DavidJ61
Replied by DavidJ61 on topic Narrowboat
Hi, I read somewhere that they will not accept PO boxes.

More
5 years 1 month ago #228043 by DavidJ61
Replied by DavidJ61 on topic Narrowboat
Thanks Gordon. I think this seems the best way forward. I just wasn't sure how DWP would take someone having no fixed address.
There are services such as Boatmail who do use a valid street address, which I might try. Also there is Royal Mail's Post Restante but this gets mail sent to a post office of your choice, where I will need to collect it from.
The Boatmail service looks to be the better option where all your mail gets sent to them and then they can forward it to you at a time of your choosing or regularly to a post office for you collection. This is better than just using Poste Restante.
Thanks for your advice.

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.