× Members

ESA capital

More
5 years 2 months ago #228027 by drewan
ESA capital was created by drewan
My husband applied for probate about 2 years ago for an estate of which he is sole executor and beneficiary. It comprises a motgage-free bungalow and what was total liquid assets of just over £16,000, but is now just under.The DWP has been informed about the liquid assets situation.
The estate is almost administered, but there is still an executor's account holding some of the money until the estate is fully finalised.
I own a separate flat which is virtually uninhabitable and with little or no equity, which I intend to sell. We are living in the bungalow because I am incapacitated.
We have sought advice from the CAB but have received contradictory advice.

My questions are:
1) Does the equity in either or both of the properties count for ESA capital purposes?
2) Does the final realising of the estate alter the ESA capital position?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Drewan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #228044 by Gordon
Replied by Gordon on topic ESA capital
drewan

The first question is what type of ESA are you receiving? If it is Contribution Based ESA only then your ESA is not affected by the money or the equity in either the flat or the bungalow, if you are receiving Income Related ESA in part or in whole then the ESA(IR) will potentially be affected.

If you are living in the bungalow then it will be disregarded as an asset but any equity from the flat will be considered as will the £16,000, the rules for assets and saving are

Asset and savings rule for ESA(IR)

The equity in the flat applies now and you should contact the DWP office dealing with your claim immediately if it, with your current savings and assets exceed £6000, I would not expect the money from the inheritance to be considered until the estate is settled.

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewan

More
5 years 2 months ago #228180 by drewan
Replied by drewan on topic ESA capital
Thank you Gordon.
I am on ESA(IR).

More
5 years 2 months ago #228184 by Gordon
drewan

So the dwp should already know about the flat?

Gordon

Nothing on this board constitutes legal advice - always consult a professional about specific problems
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewan

More
5 years 2 months ago #228362 by drewan
Replied by drewan on topic ESA capital
Hi Gordon
I don't think so particularly. Until recently it was our residence until my accident necessitated us moving into the bungalow.Does this make a difference?
Drewan

More
5 years 2 months ago #228368 by Gordon
drewan

Yes, you must inform the DWP immediately, it is now considered an asset and may affect your ESA payments.

Gordon

Moderators: GordonGaryBISCatherineWendyKellygreekqueenpeterKatherineSuper UserjimmckChris
We use cookies

We use cookies on our website. Some of them are essential for the operation of the site, while others help us to improve this site and the user experience (tracking cookies). You can decide for yourself whether you want to allow cookies or not. Please note that if you reject them, you may not be able to use all the functionalities of the site.